ღ Part 2 - We're halfway there

Part 2

We walked side by side. The only visible light coming from the street lights and the glow of the fluorescent moonlight. Our arms brush while continuing our path downtown, my gaze flickering towards her every blinking second.

She was considerably shorter than me, the top of her head aligned perfectly with the edge of my shoulder blade. Her jacket was now surrounding her as the light crisp air breaths soundly as we made our way towards her home.

I really didn't know what was going on, but I didn't mind. It was a bit concerning to me that I was okay. And strange how I haven't collapsed on my knees, struggling to breath from the loud beat of my heart.

It had calmed down eventually, even though it was still wild, it was bearable. And the silence was taming every single worrying thought that crossed my mind.

"How old are you?"

The ringing of the beat of my heart playing in my ears is replaced by her soft voice. I look down on her, but she's still looking ahead. Confident and strong. It was scary and sexy in so many different ways.

"Eighteen."

She nods, crossing her arms across her chest. "Are you a senior?"

"Y-yeah."

I see her confident smile. "You look older."

"I do?"

"Yeah, you do."

I wish she would look at me. But I'm scared that if she does, I'll become a disaster with words once again.

"Are you a senior?" I ask.

She laughs, throwing her head back like she did when I first saw her. Her eyes crinkling while her face contorts with a wide smile. "I'm a freshman actually."

"Oh." I didn't know she was that young. She didn't seem like it. "How are you liking High School then?"

Another laugh, and my stomach quivers from the beautiful sound. "High School was quite entertaining. Glad I graduated though. College is better"

She was in college. She was older than me and she was gorgeous. Wow, I was blowing it and I was feeling stupid as ever, my face burning in embarrassment.

"You don't look like a college girl."

"Hm, I'm glad." She says. "Some of them are so uptight. I like to live young."

She's looking at me now, and I return the gesture. "How old are you then?"

"Nineteen."

We reach the white secluded building. It was big and it looked like it had several floors. The lobby seems closed by now, but there's a row of stairs hanging from the side of the construction.

She walks forward, typing a few numbers into the gate that restricts the entry towards the stairway. It unlocks immediately, opening widely as
she starts to make her way up.

I stay put, looking for something to say.

She notices immediately, stopping midway. Her small body resting against the railing. "You want to come in for a second?"

"I, uhm..." I lick my lips. "I don't know if I should- I mean...."

She comes down all the way to hold my hand tightly on hers, pulling me along. "C'mon."

I count the steps to the third floor in order to calm myself down from the feeling of her hand in mine. My calloused and rough hand against her soft, tiny one as we ascend.