1

You could faintly hear a scream of a little girl, from the nearest abandoned structure if you tried. but instead you were listening to music, and watching the news, not paying attention to the outside.

no one seemed to ever stop and think: "hey let's explore that abandoned place near our house!". meaning that the serial killer of 14 years needs to go find his prey a different way.
'picking up girls' is what he calls it. since he did it every single day, on his birthday. he'll drive around on the highway, and pick up any teenage girls he found. leading them to their destination, and then killing them in the car.

normally he'd wait, but since it was his 21st birthday, he was getting restless. this was a special birthday for people in the u.s. you could finally drink and smoke legally. he didn't really care about that stuff. he was more intrigued in the tranquilizers he could buy. since they were considered "drugs".

after a skinny girl with long black hair, her bangs reaching a little too far, joined him in the car, he asked if he could stop at the nearest drug store on their way to her destination.

"sure"

she simply said. not giving much emotion in her voice. she seemed to have something in her belt, hanging there.

the driver ignored it, and kept his eyes on the mirror and road.

"so where are you going?"
the man asked.

"wherever you're going. i just need shelter"
she replied smiling under her hair.

"alright. then you can come back to my place, if you want."

"that'd be great"

and with that the conversation was over, and he turned on the radio to fill the silence.

while he was driving he noticed the girl always kept one arm covering her right side, where the object he couldn't figure out was.

"could you open the compartment in front of you? i need my card. it might take two hands.."
he said giving a sly glance at the girl, watching carefully.
she gently lifted her arm, using the  other to slyly shift her weapon underneath her, and opened the compartment with ease. grabbing his wallet, she handed it to him and closed the lid.

the driver cautiously took the wallet, taking out a 50$ bill after parking.

"i'll be right back, do you need anything?"

the slim girl shook her head and looked out the window.