Chapter || 8

Gorgeous Yet Monotonous Pattern

The city of flower, Ilsan, was oddly calm today. It made Ken feel a bit uncomfortable. Ilsan maybe be referred to as a flower; but it definitely wasn't as pretty as it sounds. When things do get pretty, it's suspicious.

It was Wednesday, which means Hyuk will visit his father. And Ken too was going to visit his father. Though he kept thinking about one thing.

Misa Kaori.

It was a fragrance his father taught him when he was younger. The only thing his father ever taught him was that recipe. But sadly, he forgot about it, and that irked him a lot.

He looked through his books, his notes but in vain; he couldn't even remember it. You see, Ken is the type of person who, once looses something, keeps thinking about it. And that makes him cranky.

He hopped off his Harley Davidson and placed the helmet on the handle. His house, or his father's house was huge. It was mostly made up of glass, but the rest of it was covered in brown wood.

He walked in the garden, and saw his father drinking tea while reading a news paper, a typical dad thing. The garden was full of lilac flowers. Some white, some purple, and some combined with the both colors. The white table and chair gave the whole garden a fresh and clean look. He recalls himself playing here with Hyuk all the time. This was his garden once.

"Good morning master." He speaks.

"Good morning." The father says as he sipped on his tea.

"How have you been?" Jaehong asks.

"Fine, and you?" Ken says while sitting on the white chair.

"Fine." He says.

Like always, they are silent for a moment. It's not an awkward silence, it's more of a "let's take our time" type of silence. And Ken likes it.

"Master, can I ask you something?" Ken asks

"Go ahead."

"Do you remember the recipe for Misa Kaori?" Ken questions.

The father stops reading. Eyes shifting slowly to look at the son.

"Why do you ask?" He says.

"It's been bothering me, a bit. I wanted to make it but I can't remember the recipe." Ken replies.

Jaehong took his time to respond, he folded the news paper, sipped on his tea, and leaned on his chair.

"I told you that I'll show you that recipe once and only once. You have to remember it." He says.

Ken bites his inner cheek. Something he'd do when irritated.

"Master, I was so young at that time, how am I suppose to remember it now?" He raises his eyebrow.

"Just like how you remember your mother. You were too young when you use to be with her, but you still remember her." Jaehong sighs.

"Father." Ken sort of whines.

"Do you know the story of Syringa?" His father says off topic.

Ken looks at him in confusion, but eventually shakes his head.

"She was a nymph according to Greek Mythology. Her beauty captivated Pan, the god of forests and fields. One day, Syringa was in a forest. Pan chased her. Frightened by his affection, she escaped him by turning into an aromatic bush; now known as lilac." Jaehong tells the tale.

"Your birth flower explains a lot about you, and how you should live your life, Jaehwan. There might be some people who will chase you, some for love, and some for greed. But always remember that in this world, you either fight or die. Do you understand?" The father says, strictness in his tone.

"Yes, father."