The Quality of Mercy

It was almost deafening.

Princess Elena found it difficult to keep her smile from growing as she and the rest of the royal family paraded around the kingdom, followed by the cries and cheers of the townspeople. She waved happily to as many people as she could, almost leaning off the carriage.

"You sure are happy, mija."

Elena turned back and smiled down to her grandmother, Luisa. "Of course I am, abuela! It's over! It's finally over! I defeated that evil witch once and for all!" Then she grinned out to the townspeople again before continuing, "Now I can finally be queen."

"Not so fast, Elena," Francisco, her grandfather, began, "you still have lots to learn before you can become queen."

"But Abuelo..."

"He has a point, Elena," Luisa pointed out. "Just because you defeated Shuriki doesn't mean you're ready to rule yet."

"I think she might be," Isabel chimed in.

Elena smiled. "Thank you, Isa."

"Well, you still have a lot to learn," Francisco insisted. "Both of you."

"Alright, Abuelo..." she then said with a sigh.

The family rode back to the palace with the crowds of Avalorans following behind and then stopping in front of the palace stairs. Elena took a deep breath as she left the carriage and made her way up to the top of the staircase. After reaching the top, she turned around to address her people. Then she paused for another moment to take in the euphoric atmosphere of the whole kingdom before her. She smiled.

She finally did it. After forty-three years.

"My fellow Avalorans," she announced to her people, "we are finally free!" The crowd immediately erupted into cheers. "The wicked witch has been defeated," she continued, "and she will no longer terrorize our kingdom!" Elena allowed the crowd to continue cheering before she motioned to her captain of the guards, Gabe Nunez, to bring in the wicked witch in question.

It wasn't long before the cheers of the crowd were transformed to jeers and boos as the head guards parted through the group with Shuriki in tow.

Even though she was chained up and captured, Shuriki still held her head high with her nose in the air as she walked through the scornful masses. Since she had absorbed the magic from the jewel belonging to the forest sprite, Marimonda, Shuriki still retained her illusion of youth despite the Scepter of Night being utterly destroyed along with most of her magic. To prevent any of the townspeople from outright attacking her, the guards surrounded Shuriki on all sides as they made their way to the bottom of the staircase.

The sorceress locked eyes with the princess. Elena stared back, trying to see if she could find just a tiny drop of regret or remorse in Shuriki's eyes. When she found nothing, she simply frowned disdainfully at the witch.

"Shuriki of the Northern Isles," she began, "your reign of terror is over."

Shuriki let out a cackle, then jeered, "Is that what you think?" Elena's grip immediately tightened around her scepter.

"Yes, you will no longer be a nuisance to our kingdom."

Shuriki laughed again. "Please... the kingdom thrived under me." Elena had to bite her tongue, knowing that Shuriki was only trying to bait her. Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Elena looked down at the sorceress.

"Shuriki, you have usurped the crown, terrorized the kingdom, caused destruction and mayhem on multiple occasions—"

"Don't you think you're exaggerating?" Shuriki interrupted.