Something I Would Never Do

He was up before the morning rays peeked above the horizons. He shrugged on his clothes and rubbed his eyes, letting out a yawn. He brushed his hair back into his usual ponytail, noting the dark circles and bloodshot redness of his eyes as he stared back into the mirror. Emilio let out a sigh, splashing water from the basin onto his face to try to hide the evidence of his sleepless night.

He then took a seat at his desk, looking over the few permits he had to approve before he can begin replanting the forest. He glanced over to the window, noting the rising sun, scribbled his signature onto the forms, and got up once again to pace around his room. Rubbing his face once more, Emilio left his room only to find Julia asleep in the living room. He shook his head, realizing that she meant to speak with him and tried to wait for him. Grabbing a blanket, he brought it over to the couch to tuck her in before letting out a deep, shaky breath and moved to the kitchen to make breakfast.

He didn't eat any of it, it was for his aunt, but he stored what he needed for the rest of the day. Once he closed the final food container, it finally sunk in what he was going to do today: He was going to rob the royal treasury.

"Emilio?"

Emilio cleared his throat as he stood at the palace gate after waiting for the guard to retrieve the crown princess. "Buenos días, princessa," he greeted her, putting on a smile. "I wanted to thank you for providing the seeds needed to replant our forest."

Elena quirked an eyebrow. "Really?"

"I did. And as a token of my gratitude," he handed her a dish, "I wanted to give you this. A piece of my village to you."

Elena eyed the container of food, shifting it to see inside. "What is it?"

"Gallo pinto. This dish is famous in my village. I know it isn't much compared to the royal dishes prepared in the palace but..."

"No, no... thank you. I didn't expect this from you. Did Señorita Julia make this?"

He shook his head. "I did."

"Oh?" She said, genuinely surprised. "I didn't know you cooked."

"Well... I just dabble in it. I'm not a great chef though."

"Well, thank you anyway," she smiled. After a moment, Elena then said, "You had travel all this way from your village, would you like a glass of water or something? Maybe some pastries? My abuela just finished making some empanadas so if you're not too busy..."

"No, I'm not too busy. I wouldn't mind at all."

Emilio was then led into the palace and to the garden where the rest of the royal family was having snacks and refreshments in a gazebo. "Elena, who is this?" asked Elena's grandfather, Francisco.

"This is a... friend? A friend of mine."

Emilio bowed to the heads of the royal household. "My name is Emilio, Señor. I'm honored to meet you and your family."

"He seems charming enough," commented Luisa. A chair was pulled out for Emilio and a plate of sweetened empanadas was placed in front of him along with a glass of horchata. The family continued the chit-chat they were making before Emilio arrived. Occasionally, they included him in the conversation though Emilio kept his responses brief as he was glancing discreetly around the garden, trying to calculate his next move.

"Elena!" The whole family looked over to see the young harbor master's daughter making her way towards them.

Elena stood up from the table. "Naomi? Is something wrong?"

"Me and Mateo found something that you might want to see. In fact, I think everyone on the council might need to see it."

Elena and the rest of the family looked between each other then back to Naomi. "Sorry about this, Emilio," Elena apologized. "We'll back soon."