Catalyst

The moon phases lapsed from new to full, waxing and waning to the new crescent. Dia de los Muertos was only a couple of days from now, Ash ruminated at her bedroom window, looking up at the speckled night sky. Hearing a noise, she glanced over to see her husband in the doorframe. She frowned immediately. "What do you want?"

Victor rolled his eyes as he entered, closing the door behind him. "Can you just pretend that you are a tiny bit happy to see me?"

"I did pretend, but now Carla's asleep and I don't have to."

Victor shook his head, sitting down on the bed. "I don't know why you're upset. You left us for 10 years." Ash rolled her eyes to herself, not wanting to get into this with him again. She continued to look out the window, observing the evening scene of the forest. Victor noted her lack of response and figured she was lost in her thoughts. "What are you thinking about?"

"How quiet it was before you walked in here," she replied dryly.

Victor huffed. "You should be thinking about how we're going to get Shuriki. Dia de la Muertos is in a few days."

"I know that—"

"And no plan?" he interrupted. "Or... you do have a plan, but you refuse to tell us."

"You're rather annoying, Victor," Ash hissed. "And I do have a plan if you must know."

"Which is?" Ash pulled out the large purple orb from her robes and showed it to him in the moonlight, causing him to quirk an eyebrow. "The jewel of the Scepter of Night?"

"Yes, the jewel. With the right spell and timing, I can use it to absorb what's left of Shuriki's magic."

"And do what with it?"

Ash paused for a second then looked at Victor. "That is... yet to be decided?"

"Ash, if this is about you gaining more power..."

"Why would you think that?"

"You've said it twice now."

"Well," Ash then began, "what's wrong with a little more power?"

"It's all you care about."

"All you care about is a stupid kingdom," she snapped back. "You think so little, Victor. Why have one kingdom when you can have them all?"

"Because one is all we need."

"Whatever you say, Victor. I like to aim a little higher."

Victor's eyes rolled again. "Sure... and how are you sure that Shuriki has enough magic for whatever you're planning?"

"She's alive, isn't she? Shuriki is a sorceress, born into it. Her whole life force is magic. I plan to drain her of all of it."

"And that will work?"

"It will. Dia de los Muertos is a few days before the next full moon. That gives us plenty of time to prepare for our next step."

"Why the full moon?"

"Because the moon with the rising tides will amplify the jewel's power," she explained. "Why do you ask so many questions?"

"Because I'd like to know what crazy schemes you're trying to put me and my daughter through."

"Our daughter, and do you think I would put you in harm's way?"

"Well, you do have a habit of putting yourself above others."

Ash scowled. "Whatever, Victor."

"And what about the boy?" he then questioned. "What do you plan to do with him?"