6: Thoughts and Talks

(5314 Words)

"Michelangelo, how was your night?" Mr. Higgs and Mikey sit across from each-other. The young boy bounces in his seat, trying his best to contain all of his feelings. "It was- It was fine." Mikey says, eyes wandering all around the office as if it was the first time he'd seen it. Mr. Higgs stays quiet for a moment, watching Mikey fidget and bounce, obviously not paying attention. "How was it? Did you sleep better than if you were in a room with your brothers?"

Mikey absentmindedly nods, not listening at all. "So would you like a room all by yourself again?" Finally Mikey snaps out of his distracted state and locks eyes with his therapist. "What?" Mikey frowns. "No, no, I hated being alone. I didn't sleep at all." It was an oddly serious version of the freckled boy that suddenly shone through. Serious, and slightly confused.

"How come?" Mr. Higgs asks, folding his hands in his lap. "I couldn't stop hearing things all around me. When that happens, usually one of my brothers stays with me so I can sleep. I always know they'll protect me." Mikey lolls his head to the side and tugs at his shirt. The office was dimly lit which made the ghost on the front glow slightly. "Mm-hm." The older man mumbles. "Do you think that if you were with just one brother and they couldn't help you, that that would make things better? Or worse."

Mikey's face contorts with confusion. "What do you mean." He says flatly. "Well, what if you were in a room with just one brother, like our deal stated, and he was sleeping or unable to help you. Would you feel worse, or better than last night?" Mr. Higgs elaborates. Mikey sits quietly. He wasn't sure how to answer. "I guess... I guess better? Knowing they were there an' stuff..."

Mikey looks up a little more, sitting up straighter. "Who am I getting to room with?" He asks quickly. Mr. Higgs looks up at the ceiling. "Well that really depends. Who do you think you'll do best rooming with." Mikey knew he was asking this question to test him. He'd already decided who was going to room with who.

"I don't know." Mikey says with a little pep in his voice. Mr. Higgs smiles. "I know who you'd want to room with." He says. Mikey shrinks in his seat. "I know you'd want to room with your brother Donatello. You two have a good bond, but there's only so many of you and when deciding who'd go with who, I have to consider all four of you." The man brings his hands up onto the table. "I can't let you room with Leonardo, you two have gotten into quite a bit of trouble together."

Mikey nods along, understanding so far. "Your brother Raphael cannot be with Leonardo either because of the fights they've gotten into over their time together." Mr. Higgs explains. It was becoming obvious who would be with who. Mikey pulls his feet up onto the chair and looks at the desk. "So I'll be with Raph." Mikey says almost sadly, putting two and two together easily. "Donnie with Leo."

Mr. Higgs nods. "Donatello's rational attitude will help balance out Leonardo's shifts." Mikey nods back, picking at his shirt. "Now, I must ask-" Mikey looks up at the sudden mood shift. Mr. Higgs leans forward onto the desk with a small curious smile. "Why a rave?"

~~~

"Raphael, would you mind sitting on the chair?" Mr. Higgs asks, looking underneath the desk. Raph was sitting with his knees up to his chest and head ducked. He didn't say anything and didn't move. If you looked closely you would be able to see him shaking just slightly. A minute longer of no response and Mr. Higgs moves his chair aside and sits on the floor to the Right of Raph. "So what's going on?" He asks, wrapping his arms around his knees.

The first response Raph gave in the fifteen minutes they had been in that office was the smallest of head shakes. The man bobs his head from side to side, thinking. "Could you write it?" Raph nods and Mr. Higgs grabs a paper and a pen from his desk above and slides it over to the boy. Raph takes the paper and puts it in front of himself and messily writes a short message.