CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

" Just live for today because there might not be a tomorrow "

"How–how do you know that?" Damn it Thomas, stop your damn stuttering.

"Oh, I know a lot of things, Thomas." Ratman smirked, his eyes held some sort of explanation on what he meant but I couldn't tell exactly what it was. "Like the fact that you'll do anything, anything to help your friends out, even if it means your possible death." I looked to the ground for a second before I looked back up with determined eyes.

"And that is why i'm gonna do this." I shot the gun at Ava's head and I saw as her body fell to the ground, limp, blood spilling out of her head, onto her white dress and onto the tiled floor.

"Got it, Thomas." I turned my head and saw the others running out through the doors. "Come on!" I waited for a few seconds as the doors started to close. "Thomas!"

"We'll find Newt, Thomas and when we do, we'll make sure that he doesn't survive," Ratman yelled at me and then made a signal to his guards who then started to march up towards me. 

"I'll kill you Ratman!" I yelled out, diving through the door, missing the bullets that were aimed at me. I stood up, sand falling off of me. I turned around to the door and flipped it off before I ran after the others. "Come on! They'll be going after Newt. We have to find him before they do," I told the others, starting to panic.

There was no way that I was gonna let W.C.K.D take Newt from me again.

"Where would he go?" Minho questioned as he looked at me with intense brown eyes. "What if we don't get to him in time? What if we find his body? What if–" I cut Minho off my grabbing him and pulling him into a well needed hug. 

"We'll find him. We just gotta start thinking like him. Where would he go? We already checked the maze, so we know he won't be going there." I started checking off the places we have been or passed so far. "It just leaves the mountains and the place I stabbed him at," I forced those words out of my mouth, gulping loudly as I looked around at our surroundings. "If we are gonna move, we should do it now before he sends guards after us."

"Yeah." Minho nodded and we started our way through the sand. Again.

"Oh, how much I hate sand," I mused, kicking the sand as I thought about the possibilities of where Newt could be hunkering down at. "He can't be alone, right?" I asked abruptly. "He can't survive out here by himself. No one can." I looked to Minho. "For him to be able to live and not die, he would need someone to help him out. You know how bad his limp is."

"I think you're getting onto something here, Thomas." Minho nodded his head, a thoughtful expression on his face. "You have to be right because he could barely make it through the maze with his limp." He paused and patted my chest. "At least your brain is working now." He then slapped my head. "Why did you let Rat-man and Ava live?

"I killed Ava," I told him which made everyone abruptly stop and turn to me. "I couldn't get a clean shot at Rat-man because he was hiding more behind the guards than Ava was. But, yes, I shot her in the head and watched her bleed." I stopped as I realized something. "God! I am so stupid!"

"I agree with you on that, but why are you calling yourself stupid?" Minho amused, looking at his best friend in confusion and worry.

"I never saw Newt bleed," I said, looking up at him with wide eyes. "Not like I just saw Ava. No, no. He didn't bleed at all. His body just fell to the ground in a heap. But there was no blood." I slapped myself in the face. "How stupid am I to believe that someone is dead when they didn't even bleed?"

"Very," Minho mused, slapping my back. "But this is a good thing. Newt is officially alive and Ava is officially dead. Yay!" He threw his arms up in the air and sent me a cheeky smile.

"Okay. Okay." I chuckled, shaking my head and then pushed Minho forward to start walking again. "Now, let's go protect Newt."