david

Before

July 4th, 2019
Two Months Prior

Grayson buried his head into his pillow and screamed knowing nobody would hear. Well, it felt good anyway.
His roommate was usually here by now, and not that he didn't need to be alone right now, but the constant reminder he was out, with friends, having fun how you should in college, and the constant drum and pop of fireworks exploding outside, made his situation all the more lonely. So much worse, to be alone and stuck with nobody to talk with but Riley.

And even that was going to shit.

He picked his phone back up when it buzzed, his hands shaking.

Riley
11:59 PM

I'm sorry, I'm really sorry.
₁₁ ₅₉

He laughed once, out loud to himself. Large and sarcastic.

No Riley, you're sorry you got caught.
₁₁ ₅₉

Why are you being like this..
₁₁ ₅₉

WHY AM I BEING LIKE THIS? I HAVE EVERY FUCKING RIGHT TO BE LIKE THIS.
₁₁ ₅₉
SERIOUSLY? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?
₁₂ ₀₀

Please calm down, this is scaring me.
₁₂ ₀₀

Okay.
₁₂ ₀₀
So you want to break up? That's what your saying, right?
₁₂ ₀₀

What? No, I love you.
₁₂ ₀₀

Well that's what it sounds like you want, since you clearly don't give a shit about me.
₁₂ ₀₁
All I asked is that you call me tonight,
but you go and hang out with your friends instead.
₁₂ ₀₁

I thought I could do both. I'm sorry.
I'm really sorry.. I can still call you. I can step outside. That's what I planned.
₁₂ ₀₁

NO, RILEY.
WHAT ARE YOU NOT GETTING?
₁₂ ₀₁
This was supposed to be our night. Not you and Brooklyn and Courtney and me in the background.
₁₂ ₀₁
I'M IN COLLEGE. YOU'RE IN HIGH SCHOOL. This is the hardest transition of my life right now and you're making it so much worse. Do you know how selfish you're being?
₁₂ ₀₂

I know. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.
₁₂ ₀₂

Are you? Because you're doing nothing to fix these issues. You still go and hang out with your friends when I need you.
₁₂ ₀₂

I still text you when I'm with them..
I'm sorry, they help me through a lot.. I know I can't understand what you're going through but I've been going through a lot too. I'm sorry I went out, but I can always still call you.
₁₂ ₀₃

You're right.
You can't understand what I'm going through.
₁₂ ₀₃

Everything out of your mouth is excuses Riley, and I'm sick of it. Just block me for tonight so I don't have the urge to fucking scream at you.
And thanks for disappointing me. Again.
₁₂ ₀₃