Five |

Michael Price

Kailie was silent, she hadn't said a word to me since the day at the station - she didn't want Nancy over anymore and I caved because of the situation that occurred.

"Where's Ginny and Tony?" Nobody replied, Ollie and Joel had taken the moral high ground and decided that I wasn't worth talking to anymore.

"I have tutoring after school" Ollie shouted out, following Joel outside to the front yard.

"Kailie?" I asked, but she hopped up and ran for work.

"Great" I walked outside, hoping to make something of my day when I saw Emilia walking towards my yard, she had a blank stare and I smiled for a second but she walked right past me and began running the whole way down the street. She caught up with Kailie who seemed to be waiting for her around the corner before the two of them went walking towards the bus stop.

"They're still not talking to you?" Carter interrupted my thoughts, locking his car and walking inside my gate.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"You did tell her that she's trouble and all she's done is made your life difficult"

"Well it's true, she's always in my business" he shook his head at me like he was disappointed but didn't say anything else.

FLASHBACK - 3 YEARS AGO

I was nervously checking my watch, looking to see if Nancy would come but she didn't. It was two hours after the time we had arranged to meet, but it was like she had either made plans to meet someone else or she wasn't ready to see me. I sat by the boardwalk on an empty bench, watching people walk by - colours from the neon signs reflecting on their faces.

Emilia was laughing with a group of people, sipping a strawberry Milkshake from one of those sophisticated straws before she locked eyes with me.
She stopped walking and began motioning at me to check if I was okay.

"Smile a little, she'll appreciate it" she bumped my shoulder, letting her friends leave her behind.

"That's if she shows up" I said a little annoyed at Nancy, I hoped that she had some good excuse for leaving me alone here.

"Be optimistic, she's probably just stuck in traffic or an emergency came up" she smiled right in my face, almost touching my nose with hers. Emilia made me laugh most of the time and I would've pushed any other girl away but I couldn't do it to her. She fiercely pinched my cheeks and hopped up.

"Come, I'll buy you ice cream. That always cheers you up" I hopped up and followed her, letting her take my hand to the vendor.

"He'll have a chocolate cone and I'll have two scoops of vanilla with uh sprinkles oh and do you have those candy sticks" I laughed as she looked over the counter to see what else he had, while he struggled to keep up with her hyper persona.
I grabbed my wallet out before she stopped me.

"I said I'll buy, butthole" she slapped my hand while I put my wallet back, I could've sworn that if she returned feelings that I had for her one day then I would snatch up that opportunity in a second.

We sat quietly by the edge of the pier, she was kicking her feet on top of the water and laughing about something.

"Are you sure your friends won't mind that you stayed back?" I asked, nervous that she had a momentary lapse of amnesia and forgot that she came with the group.

"Oh they're good, I was going to wait for you after your date anyway so we could catch the midnight train back" she innocently crossed her eyes and poked her tongue out at me.