15

This chapter is ally short, but I felt that it was the most natural stopping point! I'll probably have another chapter up in the next three days or so! I hope you enjoy this chapter! Also, I've decided to move this book out of the Short Story category! When I first began writing this, it was supposed to be a Valentine's Day one shot, but it just kept growing and I'm in love with the characters! So now it's in Romance which is a lot more competitive! So all of your votes and comments count EVEN more than ever!

Love all of y'alls sexy faces!

“Yeah, just send one car,” Mary murmured into the phone, angling her body away from Johnathan, “I just want to get this thing under control. I’ll probably space it out and come around from behind.”

Mary continued to list directions to Sarah, casting wary glances at Johnathan and the black truck that hadn’t moved since she arrived. Pursing her lips, she frown as Sarah told her about the thicket of paparazzi that continued to camp outside the building.

“There’s no need to be stingy with information Mary,” Johnathan drawled, taking a couple of steps closer towards her.

Mary shot Johnathan a scowl before she hung up, “I’m not being stingy with anything that you need to know. I’m just trying to fix this.”

Johnathan ran his fingers through his hair before he replied, “Why are you so determined to fix everything? I’m sure if you just leave it alone, the press will get tired of us.”

Mary crossed her arms and walked across the room. Due to the scene that happened at Jonny’s they were now camping out inside of a retail mattress store as they awaited the arrival of the car. After over ten minutes of assistants trying to sell them king sized mattresses for their “new home together”, Mary’s nerves were frayed.

“First of all, there is no us. We are not, nor will we ever be a thing. Do you understand me? Second, I still have a reputation to uphold. Just because you can go gallivanting around town and multiple countries sleeping with whoever you want doesn’t mean I can,” Mary hissed.

Johnathan moved to sit on the mattress across from her. He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped when Mary cut him off with a wave of her hand.

“I’m not judging you, I’m just stating facts. This is a man’s world and women like me are far and few. Look at this mess I’m in because people think I’m in a relationship with two different men. People are saying that I slept my way to where I am, not that I busted my butt and put in hours of work. They don’t care about the truth, they care about an appealing story,” Mary said, crossing her arms again and challenging Johnathan to say something to contradict her.

Mary’s phone buzzed in her hand and she instantly put it towards her ear and began talking before Johnathan could come up with a response. After a couple of seconds and nods of agreement, Mary stood up and brushed her skirt.

“Here’s the plan. You’re going to leave and walk a couple blocks north, and one of my assistants will be waiting for you. I’m going to grab a taxi and head back to my place, just in-case that van tries to follow one of us. In about an hour we’ll meet up in my office, got it?” Mary directed.

Not waiting for a reply, she headed towards the door and shot a smile at the assistant that she had yelled at, trying to make sure they weren’t scarred for life. When she got a timid wave back, she reached for the door handle, but was stopped before she could completely step out.

Feeling Johnathan’s presence, she turned, “What?”

Johnathan strode towards her, successfully forcing her out of the store and closing the distance between the two of them to mere millimeters. His eyes were smoldering and his lips were stretched into a coy smile.

“What if I wanted there to be an us?” he asked, his voice flowing like warm honey.

Mary blinked, taken aback by his words. However, she was acutely aware of the situation and pressed her palm on Johnathan’s chest to push him away.

“Well then I’d say you’re out of luck,” Mary replied.

No sooner had the words left her mouth; Mary noticed a familiar flash of hunger in Johnathan’s eyes. Her eyes bulged and she leaned away as far as she could.

But his grip was iron strong, and the only direction Mary was moving was towards his body. Heartbeats later, Johnathan’s lips were pressed onto her own as he murmured, “That’s not an acceptable answer.”

“No! We are not doing this again!” she hissed, trying to pull her arms out of Johnathan’s grasps.

Bulbs popped in the background and Mary could feel herself sinking further into despair. Deciding not give in, she stood still and clamped her lips shut, hoping that it would cause Johnathan to leave her alone. Instead, he moved his lips elsewhere, trailing kisses along her jaw and neck.

“Are you done with your foolishness?” Mary asked.

Johnathan snorted, “Hardly,” but he released her arms anyway.

With a smirk, Mary took the palm of her hands and wiped her neck, removing the memory of Johnathan’s lips. She then proceeded to wipe her hand on the sleeve of Johnathan’s suit, saying, “Don’t you ever do that again.”

Mary watched as Johnathan pretended to be wounded by her comments and scoffed when he replied, “Don’t pretend you didn’t enjoy it.”

“I don’t particularly like being assaulted. I don’t care how attractive you are,” Mary replied, turning to the street to hail a taxi.

“You think I’m attractive?” Johnathan shot out, a wicked grin on his lips.

Mary rolled her eyes, “Don’t flatter yourself, you’re sitting at a solid five.”

“Out of five,” Johnathan quipped, pushing his hands in his pockets.

Mary managed to grab a taxi and as she slid in she replied, “Out of ten,” before slamming the door close.