IV

As I led our way toward the shop he, well, Louis told me of his life, how he lives with his parents and how they care for him, but he has yet to tell me of his impairment. Perhaps it happened at birth and it never bothered him. When we approached my mother's shop, I helped him walk up the steps that led to the main door, or at least tried after he refused by pushing away my helping hand.
    "It smells lovely," he rejoiced once we stepped inside, I nodded in agreement with him, though I was used to the fresh smell of chocolate. Though his sight had gone, he walked around as if he could see what was around him, I could see he relied vastly on both his nose and eardrums to get around. It was quite a fascinating sight.
    "And who would this be?" The familiar quiet voice of my mother came suddenly to greet us
    "Oh, mother, this is Louis" I went for his arm to turn him around to face her, he gently moved to my touch
    "Hi" he mumbled, his smile never fading, my mother's gaze quickly went to his staff, and understood why he had to lean against it. "It smells amazing in here"
    "Do you like chocolate?" She smiled, bringing him  a piece from the counter, to rest her knees on the floor in front of us, grabbing his hand, she placed a dark square on his palm and closed it "Try it"
   Louis then placed the chocolate between his  teeth and took a small bite, within seconds his expression changed.
    "Eugh!" he exclaimed in pure disgust "It's bitter," I laughed at bit, dark was not exactly my favorite either, but mother always said it was good to challenge the taste buds.
    "Not a fan, not a problem." She smiled and rose to her feet "I have something better for you." She then took his hand and guided him to a much sweeter option.

    After we ate, my mother began to tell Louis of the stories she would find in various pieces of art, and with the magic of her words, began to illustrate them for him, she was so kind as to not leave anyone behind her train of thought.
"What's this?" I looked down to recognize a tiny portrait, of what was up to anyone to decide its content. What was so special about this particular one was that it was raised, so even people like Louis could see.
"It is a painting, not yet finished though." He traced his dainty fingers all over it, trying to decipher it.
"What is it?"
"Dunno. Always thought it was it was an elephant"
"I see a cat."
"Where?" I cocked my head to try and see what he claims to see
"There" He took his fingers and traced along where the shape of a cat would be.
"Where?"
"There!"
"I don't see it"
"A cat. Those are the ears, the nose, and this would be the tail." He seemed so sure, he confused me, I could only see what I knew was there in front of me.
"That would be the trunk because it's an elephant"
"It can be anything you want it to be." My mother's laugh stepped in to calm our quarrel.
"It's a cat." Louis muttered one last breath, but I said nothing. I could see no end.

After this, Louis and I went outside to sit by the sidewalk after the rain receded. I would stare out onto the streets, and he would just sit next to me.
    "Do you ever get tired of it?" Looking towards him dead eyes in great wonder, it must be hard.
    "Of what?" he asked.
    "Well, you know, being like, this." I could not find better words, and I certainly did not look to offend him.
    "My father says it is a gift."
    "How so?"
    "Although I was not given sight, I was given other things," He spoke about it with such ease, so calm, it truly did not bother him "Things like cleverness, and a slightly heightened sense of smell." He reached to poke his nose, making me laugh, I was quite fond of his sarcastic humor.
    "Perhaps I could help." A rising idea stirred atop my head, the familiar game came upon those ideas.
    "My mother and I, we would play this game where we pretend to--" I stopped my own words, then looked quickly at him, surely he did not hear me.
    "Pretend to be blind?" I froze.
"No, well, yes--" I began "It is only a game"
    "It is no game" He turned his head down, how could I say such a thing? of course it was no game.
    "Of course it is no game, I--" I hurried my words, only wanting to stop, but not being able to contain them. "I am sorry" Not knowing what to do I stood and left, fleeing the situation with such desperation. I followed by path back to my mother, perhaps she would make things right.
I stopped, looked back and felt even more to blame for Louis' sadness, I had left him alone. I felt nothing but guilt wash over me, so much so that it weighed me down to my knees that gave in as I sat at the door, to embarrassed to go back, but to guilty to go inside. I waited.
Soon enough I would feel someone at my feet, I looked up to see a man waiting for me to no longer hinder his entrance, I stood and felt defeated, Now I would go upstairs to bed and hope for a better tomorrow.