Chapter 22: Flaming Debris

Beyond The Worst Case Scenario –ACTION

Chapter 22

Day 5

Debriefing conference room

2:03

        “The United States stock market would slow to a crash similarly seen in 1929, right before the Great Depression. This would be even more catastrophic than that which occurred eighty-five years ago because now more people than ever own stocks. If the US stock market were to crash it would trigger a worldwide market collapse. When a single link in the debt chain fails the entire web that surrounds the whole world will collapse.

        “This event will cause a global economic downturn where stores are readily emptied. There would be no jobs or access to bank services such as taking money from savings accounts or using credit cards. The prices of gold, oil, and silver would quickly rise, leading to mass riots and the end of a petroleum based world.

        “Sooner or later the US government would have to take charge shutting down anything that could cause mass panic within the nation, such as Zero Hedge, Wall Street, and then, as a final straw, the internet.” Gabriel and Lisa finished their speculated report leaving every other agent in the room flabbergasted at the possibility of what was to come. Who could have possibly known something of this caliber could, and will, happen within the near future?

        “That’s it then.” Nathaniel said dismissively, “All we have to do is call the Precinct and put an NYPD protective detail on the delegates and their families. That way they can’t be touched by Liam Zenga and Laura Bariletti. Our people can protect them until the end of their stay.”

        “No!” Dominique shouted, smashing her hands into the grand cherry wood table before her, then she huffed, “If word gets out about these two CIA agents turned home grown terrorists targeting the family of these four infamous political figures, it could spark an international conflict.”

        “The building is still on lock down.” Calvino called over as he was walking back from the hallway where he had left to go make a call a while ago, “And probably will be for the next few hours while our agents try to figure out how Laura and Liam escaped. So, I called our sister office in Jersey, they are sending over two teams as fast as they can. They should be here in three hours.”

        “Good, just enough time to come up with a plan.” Dominique said, “I need a map of the United Nations building where the meeting will be held, ASAP!” She called out to her subordinates, “I also want a road map showing a twenty mile radius around the UN skyscraper, a metro map, and a map of the New York City sewers. We need to plan out every possible way those two terrorists could get in and out of that building and how to take them down.” She glanced at her watch, “And we only have two hours and fifty-seven minutes to do it in.”

        And boy did the minutes slip like sand through Nathaniel’s fingers. Maps and blueprints were laid out along the wide table where Nate, Gabe, Lisa, Dom, and Dylan where able to regard them all at once, highlighting all possible routes and tactical maneuvers. Other agents were invited over to the open air meeting as a fresh set of eyes, pointing out anything the other five may have missed during their initial sweep and search of the multitude of twisting and winding maps.

        A large countdown was displayed on the room’s large IMAX screen, reminding everyone that they were clinched for time, as though they haven’t already realized this. For some operatives this was their third all nighter in a row. The coffee had been left behind as soon as someone in the office discovered three cases of Red Bull in the break lounge. Nathaniel was currently mixing together a cup of coffee and Red Bull with shaking hands before tossing the whole thing back bottoms up and polishing it off in a single gulp.