Chapter 48: Newgate Recruits a Powerful Ally

Shortly after Royland left, the throne room doors burst open and the Calamity of Greed entered.

"Father, I've killed all those belonging to the religious faction. Who can I go kill next? And make sure they strong this time."

Null placed a hand on Grand Master's shoulder, "You have done well my child. Judesis is here in Ejitope, and all that stands in our way is Arazach. I've already given the order to Newgate to ready himself and the men to attack Arazach; I would assume you wish to be a part of that battle too."

A wide toothy grin formed on Grand Master's face, "The demon king hey. I can't wait to see how much power he has, and how much I can take for myself. I will leave at once father."

Null watched Grand Master leave the throne room as he sighed and sat down in the throne.

"You need to be careful my child, your greed will be your downfall; that is the curse of the Soulbinder."

A black puddle formed on the ground as the scrawny man emerged from it next to the throne.

"Make sure you have everything ready for the ritual. The second we get Judesis' blood we will need to perform the ritual; regardless of whether the battle is still ongoing."

The streets cleared and the people shut their windows as Grand Master walked down the road. He had become known for his aggressive and unruly nature. Yet this didn't bother the Calamity of Greed whatsoever, he was used to being an outcast and only cared about power. While he didn't care about the political power to rule people, he did care about the power to bring a nation to its knees in fear of him. As he approached the northern gate he saw an all too familiar face leaning against the wall; a face he despised as much as his clan that he abandoned krosts ago.

"Make sure you get in my way during the battle against the demon king, that way I can kill you and say it was a happy accident." Grand Master half shouted as he got closer to Vega.

Vega glanced up at the approaching Grand Master before he returned his attention to the wooden cube in his hands. Angered by the fact that he was being ignored, Grand Master got right up in Vega's face.

"I don't appreciate you ignoring me. What? Do you think you're better than me? That you don't have to respond when I talk to you?"—A grin formed on Grand Master's face as he stepped back and looked at Vega as if he was an insect —"Wait, you not ignoring me, you just acknowledge that you are an insect in my eyes, and that I could crush you anytime I want to."

The silence hung in the air for a few moments before Grand Master started laughing and walked past Vega, "Hopefully you will be useful on the battlefield; murderer."

As composed as Vega was, the last word Grand Master said infuriated him. He knew his past was fake implanted memories by his creator, yet the one truth was that he is indeed a murderer. What he couldn't stand was being called that by the Calamity of Greed; a monster that killed his own clan in exchange for power. The sound of wood creaking under an immense pressure snapped Vega out of his trance as he looked at the crack that formed on the wooden cube. Vega took a deep breath before he pocketed the wooden cube and walked in the opposite direction that Grand Master was heading.

"Have the men gotten most of the traps and supplies ready? As much as I would love to march solo and taken on the demon king in a one on one battle, it won't be possible. Who knows how large his demon army is and what traps they have set already. We also need to make sure that the path to the gate is protected should any demons try to sneak past us in the midst of the battle and enter the Capital. Now if you will excuse me, there is somebody I need to see before we head out to battle. We leave as soon as I return."

"At once sir!" A member of the Iron Dominion exclaimed as he rushed off.

"No need to take the insects with Newgate, I will join this battle; so you can just pull up a chair and relax old man."

Newgate turned to face the person speaking to him and crossed his arms when he saw who it was, "Well isn't this a surprise. The Calamity of Greed, Grand Master himself is willing to take orders from somebody that isn't father."

"You must be going senile if you think I'm going to be following your orders old man. Just make sure your insects don't get in my way while I'm slaughtering those delicious looking demons. Ah, I'm getting hungry just thinking about the power I will be able to claim from them during this battle."

Newgate chuckled and shook his head as he walked off, leaving Grand Master to continue thinking about the power he could gain.

Newgate approached the door and opened it without knocking, "Don't tell me you still confided to this bed Stain. You are you making me look weak."

The female doctor turned to face Newgate, "Stain isn't here, that fool left without my permission again. I swear if I see him I will kill him before his injuries get worse!"

Newgate burst out laughing, "That man truly is a fine warrior. Any idea where he might have gone?"

The doctor shrugged, "Try the taverns. Now leave, you're bothering my recovering patient."

Newgate glance past the doctor and saw a sleeping Royland in one of the beds. Newgate turned and left the infirmary, heading towards the best tavern for scoundrels he knew of, he was sure he would find Stain there. Sure enough, when Newgate entered the tavern he found Stain with six empty tankards in front of him and a seventh one in his hand. Without even looking in Newgate's direction, Stain downed the remnants of the tankard in his hand before slamming the tankard on the counter.

"What can I do for you Newgate? Come to drink with me before we end the tie our fight ended in?"

"I've got something even better than ale and finishing our fight Stain."

Intrigued Stain turned to face Newgate, "Oh really? And what exactly is better than ale and settling a score?"

Newgate was surprised at how sober Stain looked for somebody that was moving onto his eighth tankard of ale. Newgate smiled and stepped closer to Stain before swiftly kicking towards Stain's injured leg. Stain however was able to grab Newgate's ankle and prevent the kick from hitting his leg.

A huge grin formed on Newgate's face, "I knew it, you really are worthy of being my rival. Fight alongside me Stain, with our power combined we will easily be able to crush a powerful foe; while we have some fun of course."

"And who exactly is this so called powerful being that we will face off against?"

"The demon king and his entire army."

Newgate saw a spark of light glint in Stain's eye, that spark was all Newgate needed to know that Stain would join the battle.

Stain downed his ale and stood up from the stool, "Let's go slaughter some demons shall we; after that we can settle our own score."

Newgate chuckled, "Sure that leg won't slow you down cripple?"

Stain grinned, "I believe this cripple knock you flat out in our last bout."

"Only because I gave you a handicap."

The two laughed like they were old friends catching up, a sight Senegas found strange. Senegas watched as the two men walked out the tavern and made their way to face the demon king and his army.