Chapter 50: Victories Are Always Fleeting

The Iron Dominion begun attacking the massive maws, stabbing it with spears, slicing it with swords and even pummelling it with war hammers. The maws quickly retreated below the ground to get away from the onslaught; however, one was stuck above ground. The demons watched in fear, the Iron Dominion in admiration as Newgate grabbed one of the massive teeth of the creature and with a mighty roar he plucked it from the ground. The creature was colossal, fitting for its massive maw, Newgate however was not fazed by its size and with one swing of his fist, he popped the creature's eye out of its socket. The creature screeched in pain, but was quickly silenced when Newgate hopped onto its head and with a flurry of blows, pummelled the creature's head into a paste.

Newgate, covered in blood and brain matter, turned with a smile to Stain, "Think you can do that with your bare hands? Go back to a weapon before you hurt yourself."

Stain leapt straight up into the air as one of the creatures shot up from below the ground swallowing Stain whole. The creature however did not dive back into the ground, instead it slammed down on its side on the ground. A fist emerged from the creature's belly as a second hand forced its way through the hole. The two hands gripped the sides of the flesh and began to tear the belly open wide enough for Stain to climb out.

Covered in slime and guts Stain cracked his neck and looked at Newgate, "Had to go on the inside but I took it out with one shot. Maybe you should use your true form so we can get to our battle sooner."

"If I had to use my true form on weaklings like this, I would never have become the leader of the Iron Dominion. I have to admit, finishing this battle fast so we can get to our fight does sound appealing."

The battle raged on as the Iron Dominion ripped through the remaining four colossal creatures. The sheer numbers and combat experience of the Iron Dominion allowed them to suffer minimal casualties, all while the demon army stood and watched. Their plan had failed, they had hoped the creatures would wipe out most of their enemies and destroy the moral of the rest, allowing them to just pick a part the scraps. What Newgate noticed about the demon army was their inability to sacrifice their comrades to friendly fire.

"Archers, leave these beasts to us, I want you to focus on those sitting ducks over there." —Newgate pointed at the demon army, who just watched the battle unfold —"They're too scared to throw away their lives, as they might get caught up in these beasts' attacks, meaning they easy prey for us."

The archers lined up and readied their arrows as the guttural voice shouted out in infernal again. The demons raised their shields as arrows and rain pelted them. A booming tremor begun as the sound of war drums could be heard coming from the hill. Some demons knocked their weapons on their shield, while others stomped their feet. As the tremor grew, a sound that was a mix of a screech and a gargle pierced the battlefield. The second the sound ended, the demon army charged forward, much to Newgate pleasure.

"Looks like the maggots grew some backbone. Show them the power of the Iron Dominion!" Newgate roared to his men.

The Iron Dominion roared as they charged to meet the demon army. The sound of the rain and thunder were drowned out by the sounds of steel clashing and the cries of battle hungry warriors. Stain and Newgate not about to left out of the battle were in the thick of it, they each had wide grins on their faces as they easily dispatched any demon that was brave or foolish enough to attack them and not the other members of the Iron Dominion. It didn't take long before a short yet scrawny demon and a buff demon wielding a massive axe twice his size appeared on the battlefield. Despite their ambush on the Iron Dominion, they were now losing the battle, and seeing the two generals on the frontlines, the demon army could no longer afford to keep their generals back.