Njonjo's Beer Mug.

This story is recorded in at least two memoirs, and it would be quirky if it wasn't simply absurd. Charles Njonjo was known for his many eccentricities, the most famous of which were his pinstripe signature suits and his Machiavellian desire for power. But then there was the silver beer mug.

Njonjo would only drink beer from his own mug, which he carried around. One day, he attended a party at Njenga Karume's palatial home in Cianda. Karume had gone to great lengths to find him his preferred beer, because when your boys are coming over for a house party, you have to at least try. Anyway, after the shenanigans ended, Njonjo left, most likely in a bit of a stupor. We know this because of all things inebriation can make you forget, he forgot the only thing he cared about. His beer mug.

Small matter? Yes? Absolutely not! Njonjo was the Attorney General, and you know what happens when the AG's beer mug goes missing? Absolute chaos.

Njonjo called the PC of Central Province and told him to find the mug. I guess he also threatened his job if he didn't find this treasured piece of crockery. So the PC called the DC, who then called the DO to personally go and turn the place upside down. An entire provincial administration holding its breath as the lower ranks launched the most serious '.'

The missing mug was eventually found somewhere in Karume's kitchen, where a diligent staff member had placed it after cleaning it. From , we still know the nonagenarian enjoys the occasional beer, presumably shadowed by a cup-bearer lest it disappears again.