Chapter 9

Jeremy ended up staying the night at Michael's. Michael's parents eventually arrived home with a pizza for the boys, and the atmosphere lightened as they changed conversations and indulged in gaming, eventually falling asleep to an old DVD movie. 

  Michael woke up early the following morning, facing the sleeping Jeremy. He sighed, rolling over to see his alarm clock atop his bedside table. 7:03. 

  Jesus. I'm going back to bed. 

  He closed his eyes, reopening them when he heard the ding of a phone notification. Another ding several seconds later prompted Michael to check the noise. He sat up, noticing the active phone screen on the other side of Jeremy. Jeremy's phone was lighting up with text messages from Christine. 

  Christine? What are you doing up this early? 

  Michael carefully reached over his sleeping friend and grabbed his phone, leaning back and checking the incoming messages on the lockscreen. 

  "Jeremy, can I get Michael's number??" 

  "I want to talk to him."

  "I hope he's okay." 

  Michael was surprised. 

  Really? Wouldn't you think that the caring Christine would be worried you?

  I guess so. 

  Good morning. You might want to put his phone back before he wakes up.

  Please. He won't wake up until at least 9 in the morning. Nevertheless, Michael returned the device to its position on the bed. He laid back down, turning his head to Jeremy. 

  I don't see why he thinks he's ugly. He's really handsome. 

  Yeah, Christine thinks so too. 

  I don't blame her. Michael sighed.

  "So, how do you plan to talk to him about how you feel? Holding it off won't do anything." The Squip materialized, sitting cross-legged at the foot of the bed. 

  I don't know. I really don't know. 

  "Well, you can consider a few options. First off, you have to consider that Christine is not Jeremy's girlfriend. She agreed to lunch with him, and nothing more. If you'd like, we can find a way to tamper with their date--"

  What?! No!

  "But you want to get with Jeremy, right?"

  Yeah.

  "But you don't want to bother his chance at a relationship with Christine."

  ...Yeah.

  "You're contradicting yourself, Michael. You'll have to pick. Does your respect for your friend outweigh your love for him?"

  I don't know.

  "I hate to pressure you, but you have to make a decision."

  "I know." Michael said aloud, looking at Jeremy. The boy had rolled over in the bed, facing away from Michael. "I want to be with him."

  "And would you be willing to change his date around to do that?"

  "I..." Michael sighed. "I don't think so."

  "Alright." The Squip sighed. "For now, let's message Christine. Get her number from Jeremy's phone."

  Michael picked up his friends device again, careful not to wake the sleeping teenager. He unlocked the phone (he knew the password, it was the year Apocalypse of the Damned was released) and entered Jeremy's contacts.