Prologue

**Chloe's POV**

"Chloe, come down here. We need to have a family discussion.” my mom called to me from upstairs.

Slowly, I locked my iPod and got up from my bed. I never liked family discussions, because they almost always brought bad news.

I had a small family, just my mom, dad, and I. I was an only child. Since I was fifteen, both my parents worked to make more money. Now that I could be trusted to look after myself when they were working, they felt more comfortable about both having jobs.

But we had one main rule in my family. Always come to family meetings. So, I opened my bedroom door and made my way downstairs, into the living room.

My mom and dad sat there. They looked very serious so I sat down quietly without a word.

"Thanks for coming downstairs, Chloe” my mom spoke after a brief silence, which frightened me, to say the least.

 "Chloe," my dad began. "You know that my job doesn't pay the best." 

I nodded in understanding. My dad works part time as an English teacher at the local college. Truth be told, it didn't give the best pay.

"....And you know that I've been looking for a new job that pays better so your mother doesn't have to keep working." He continued.

I nodded once again, because I knew that he had been in search of a new job for a couple of years now. The economy was simply not in our favor these days.

 "Well," my dad continued, "I've found one." His tone told me that even he was still in shock about it.

“Are you serious? I’m so excited for you, that’s great dad!”  I smiled.

I was happy for him. He had been waiting for this for a long time. I started to see the stress in his attitude and how he spoke, and he was always up late at the kitchen table revising bills.

"Yes. Really.” my mom joined in. She seemed to be happy as well, if he ear-to-ear grin had anything to show for it.

"It's a great job.” my dad said. “It pays a lot better and is full time. It's a teaching job like before, at a college."

"Okay. It sounds good.” I said, starting to get up and return to my room. I figured that now that my parents had discussed what I was called down to discuss, it was alright for me to leave. Apparently, though, there was more I needed to know.

"Wait...” my dad said.

I stopped and turned around.

"There's something about the job that you need to know."

"Okay. What is it?” I asked. I wasn't concerned in the slightest. I mean, what could possible ruin the fact that my parents could finally sleep well at night?

"It's in… California."

"We're going to have to move… to California.” my mom winced, waiting for a scream, shout.

"Like, couple months there couple months here kind of move? Or like.. Move?” I said, Shell-shocked and frustrated at the same time.

Both my parents nodded. Move to California. Live in California. I thought as I remembered to inhale and exhale.

"We know this is going to be hard for you, and it's going to be hard for us too. But it's really what's best for our family.” my dad explained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, it was decided. We would move to California next week to start a new life halfway across the country from New Hampshire, the place where I currently lived.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Written On: July 25, 2014 by CrystalClearAngel

Edited On: July 26, 2014 by graciegc123

 © 2014

 Please do not copy this story. It is here for you to read and enjoy. If you want to use something, please PM me or 123456Batman, my co-writer before doing so. Thanks!

I hope that you enjoyed this prologue. Please give feedback because it means so much! Update is coming soon!