Unseen Revelations

That callous expression faltered instantly.

Now there was something in his dark eyes, something that made him appear tormented. "That's what you saw?"

I nodded.

Darien glanced away, sparking up a cigarette, despite the fact that we were indoors and in a non-smoking area. "Well, you're right, that is all useless information," he said, but I didn't believe him. Before he knew what I had seen, he had told me that I saw his most valued memories, and I think he was surprised that they were the ones he deemed most important. "Anyway, about the compulsion thing...." He seemed eager to change the subject. "Haven't you seen any vampire movies?"

I shook my head. "I was homeless. I didn't exactly have the luxury of cable while living on the streets."

"Well, basically, it's the power to push your will onto someone else."

I felt my face brighten. "That's so cool! So, I can like . . . control people?"

"Kind of."

"Can I control you?"

"No."

"Oh." I frowned. "So, only humans?"

"Well, there are a few grey areas." His lips pulled to the side as he ashed his cigarette on the white, linoleum flooring. I was surprised no one had scolded him for smoking indoors yet. I figured it had to do with the glamour thing because humans seemed to be intimidated as they passed by us. "A maker can give orders to their progeny and they have to obey them. That's similar to compulsion, I guess."

"So, you can boss me around?"

"Yep."

"And I literally have no other choice than to obey you?"

"Mmhmm."

"Great." My expression fell.

That former playful expression returned to his dark features. "Anyway, before we head off, I need to know something."

"Okayyy," I dragged out the word, unsure. "What is it?"

"What's Troy's middle name?"

"Reubun."

Darien laughed so loud he actually snorted.

"You're kidding me!" he exclaimed.

I glared. "It's not funny!"

"No, it's hilarious!" he cackled. "If you married him, you'd be Mrs. Hiscock."

"Seriously?" I pursed my lips.

"Oh man, that's great," he said, struggling to contain himself. "His parents must have really hated him."

* * *

We went our separate ways quickly after that.

Darien went to retrieve his car from where it was double-parked around the corner, while I returned to Troy to check if he needed anything. To be honest, I felt as though I owed it to him. He told me they gave him food, but it was apparently a horrible concoction that they claimed to be a roast dinner. The meat was weird looking, the peas hard and overcooked, and the mash potato had been the only edible part, so I hastily took some of Troy's change and ran down to the vending machine to retrieve whatever food I could find. This ended up being a bag of salted peanuts, chocolate milk, and a tuna-fish sandwich that looked a little iffy. Nevertheless, I returned to his chair-side and placed the items down on the tray by his makeshift bed.

"Thanks," he murmured. "The morphine makes me really sleepy."

"I know." I smiled meekly.

"But I don't want to sleep yet," said Troy, but he sounded drowsy and his brown eyes were half lidded. "When I do, you'll leave."