.

We sped off in a cloud of smoke and I jolted back into my leather seat, but like some kind of adrenaline junkie, I loved every moment of it. I guessed that speed was yet another—er—vampire-thing, because when I was human, I used to laugh at those guys with the lead foot. I always thought that it was obvious what they were compensating for. However, Darien drove like a professional daredevil. It was clear by the way he shifted gears, and his relaxed expression that he knew exactly what he was doing, and certainly wasn't endangering us or any drivers on the road.

"Wait hot date?" I blinked. "I thought you weren't boyfriend material?"

"I'm not," he replied with a slight shrug. "But a man has needs."

"So, you're only going on this hot date to try and sleep with someone?"

He glanced over at me.

The look on his face spoke volumes.

"Right." I gave a small nod. "Stupid question."

We must have been at least a few hours away from Sydney, because even at this unbelievably fast speed, the drive seemed to be dragging on forever. Eventually I had to put it down to the company.

I glanced over at him with a bored expression. The radio was on, but unlike Reed who was a gentleman, Darien told me I wasn't allowed to change the station. He said, and I quote, "My car my rules," and so I was forced to listen to very loud rock music. Even worse, every time I spoke, he only turned it up louder. I huffed as I leaned against my window, struggling to sound out the loud music—not to mention his crumby singing. It wasn't that I had anything against rock music, but my head still hurt, and I wasn't in the mood for celebration.

Soon we pulled to an abrupt stop, and he finally turned down the music to engage in conversation.

"Where do you want me to drop you off?" he asked.

I felt my eyes go wide. "Drop me off?"

"Yeah, like, leave you," he said, giving me this look that made me feel as though he thought I was stupid.

I glared in response. "You can't just leave me."

That didn't help because the condescending look on his face only deepened. "Sure I can," he said, using this tone that I found belittling. "When you get out of my car, I'll drive off. It's pretty simple, really."

"No, it's not simple at all." A large lump formed in my throat and the spot behind my eyes burned. "I mean, I may not even like you. In fact, I kind of hate you, but you—you did this thing to me, and I . . ." I glanced away as I tried to keep my composure. "I don't know what to do."

"That thing I did was called 'saving you.'" Again, with that tone that made me feel as though he was talking down to me, like I was a scolded child. I refused to look at him as he continued. "And I specifically remember you stating that you didn't need saving, not to mention how ungrateful you were about me risking my ass to give you eternal life." He paused for a moment. "I've done my good deed for the year. I've saved a hooker. The rest is on you."

We stopped next to Hyde Park, where I had been attacked and almost raped by Lester. The mere sight of the location gave me chills and I was forced to glance away.

"But, but . . ." I stammered. "I don't know the first thing about being a vampire."

"It's pretty straight-forward. Just pick up some tween movie. You'll be fine."

"You can't be serious." I leered. "In the movies I've seen about vampires they had no reflections or turned into bats or sparkled!" I hesitated for a moment, my gaze searching his. "Wait, we don't . . . we don't turn into bats or sparkle, do we?"