Struggles

Beta: kmbunny

Kenny’s fingers almost crumpled the piece paper he had in his hands. He read it like ten times and he still can’t believe what it said.

"Are you mad?" queries a soft voice.

Kenny looks up from the paper to his 8-year-old nephew. Levi is drawing circles on the floor with his feet, eyes down and a cute pout on his lips.

"What? No, Le. I'm not mad." Kenny tried to smooth creases on the paper down before placing it down and grabbing the cookie jar on the center of the table. He gives Levi one cookie before helping the child to sit on his chair. Levi happily munched on his cookie.

"My classmates thinks it's gross because I'm a boy," Levi pouts.

Kenny can't help but smile, this is the first time Levi actually said a full sentence since he had the boy. "They will regret saying that. They will fall on their knees when they see you all grown up and pretty." Kenny mussed up the little guy’s hair and Levi slapped his uncle’s hand away.

"I don't want to be pretty! I want to be strong!"

Kenny eyes went wide at Levi's protest. This is also the first time Levi showed his true emotions. Kenny used this opportunity to show Levi that he supports him in every way and to let the child know that his uncle is always on his side. It's been 6 months since Kuchel died and Kenny is doing everything he can to make Levi feel that he is not alone. Not while he’s around.

"That's the spirit! When they say that you are gross again be sure to beat them up!" Kenny cheered.

The next day Kenny was requested by the school. Instead of scolding Levi for punching his classmates, Kenny just laughs it off and even cheers for his tiny nephew. Levi's once dull, resigned eyes is filled with shock then followed by happiness from his uncle’s praise.

During the car ride, Levi opened a conversation on his own for the first time in six months. Kenny will never forget that that day signified good news in terms of Levi’s mental and emotional state regarding Kuchel’s death. His little man is finally taking baby steps forward in life.

"Why?" He squeaked.

"Hmm?" Kenny look at him in the mirror. Maybe make that, teeny tiny baby steps.

"It's bad to hit people."

"It is."

"Then why did you praise me? In school we only get 'good job' when we share or study well...."

"Levi, listen to me.” Even though he is driving, Kenny made it a point to look at Levi’s eyes in the mirror to see how serious this talk will be and how he wanted Levi to feel like a grown-up. Learn the importance of his role in life and the hard lessons that will come his way in the future.
“Others deserve such treatment for them to learn their lesson. I don't advise it but there are cases that it's okay. Because no matter how many times you plead and beg for them to stop, some won’t do it for the sheer joy of being  powerful against others. Some will depend on the fact that no one is standing up against them. It would be a slap of reality when they realize that being on the other side of that power and experiencing what they done to others will make them see clarity."

"Okay... I... Still don't like it."

"You don't like what?"

"Punching, my hands hurts."

Kenny almost panicked, he made a turn to a clinic before going home.

Levi's classmates learned their lesson to never mess with Levi Ackerman. Once that ball of peace got to rolling, Levi's mood improved each and every day. So did his relationship with his uncle.