Australia's One Stop-Shop For Kid's Toys

A fitted cover keeps unwanted animals using the sandpit as a toilet

A fitted cover keeps unwanted animals using the sandpit as a toilet. Leaf, insects and other debris are also repelled. Covers can be securely fixed to the top or down the sides of the sandpit.

Most sandpits are regular in shape, but made to order covers can be designed to snugly fit most sandpit designs.

Sandpits can be flush with ground level, with raised edges, brick, concrete, timber and rock surrounds. Covers can sit on top of the box or flap down over the sides.

Mesh covers let air through for the sand to breathe, avoiding mould build up. PVC, plastic or vinyl covers tend to keep water in. Insects are prone to living in damp sand and can sting or bite during play. Mesh covers also let the sand be washed through.

Various fittings can be used to firmly fix to wood, rock or other surrounds. Elastic, Velcro and screw in buttons are common fixings. Safety is an issue and if possible fixing points are usually designed to be non protruding.

Large covers can be weighty to handle and remove during play. Ideally covers should be able to be rolled up into a small bundle for easy removal and storage. Mesh materials are much lighter than solid materials. Sectional covers might be an idea for large sandpits.

Trees can usually be accommodated for with holes and creatively shaped sandpits probably need a detailed sketch for a custom cover to be designed. 

The cover area should be correctly measured from point to point and if irregular in shape, lines laid from a centre point to each protrusion is another way to manually measure. For further information and design visit this link mydeal.com.au.