chapter six

"She's on a date?" Jonny furrowed his brows and dropped his cutlery on his plate with a soft 'clink'.

"Oh yeah. Sephy just got asked out while she was on the tube this morning. How funny." Jackie laughed to herself as she took a sip from her glass.

Jonny looked sour, looking down at his plate sulkily. Adam looked smugly pleased on the other hand at his brother's visible misery.

"Why's he looking so bloody miserable?" Martin gestured to his youngest son in confusion "What's wrong with Sephy having a male?"

"Someone jealous?" Adam leaned in teasingly, pinching his younger brother's cheek. Jonny groaned and batted him away.

Jackie's eyes were slowly widening. She placed her cutlery down and looked at her youngest. "Jonny?"

"Look, I just think it's weird that she's seeing some random guy off the tube..." Jonny hissed "And... Well..." He felt stifled.

"You love her?" Adam hummed.

Jonny clenched his fists but sighed and let it go. "I just... Sort of... Like her..."

"What a surprise." Adam rolled his eyes, flicking his brothers cheek "My little brother is in love!"

Jackie put her hand to her mouth in surprise and looked over at her son. "Oh, Jonny-boo! You are just so sweet. And she's a gorgeous girl. If you like her, you should just ask her on a date!"

"Well, obviously not now she's dating someone else." Adam interjected.

"What? Jonny fancies that girl Sephy?" Martin began to laugh heartily "Well that's not going to happen!"

"What? ...Why not?" Jonny glared at his father.

"Yes, Martin. Why can't your youngest son go out with his childhood sweetheart?" Jackie asked almost interrogatively.

"I know." Adam piped up proudly "Because the only reason she'd go out with you is if her friends were having a competition to see who could shag the biggest knobface."

"Fine by me, I hope she wins." Jonny shrugged before adding "Besides, that can't be it because if that were true she would've gone for you."