1.3

PART ONE | CHAPTER THREE
WORD HAS IT

Dinah was a piece of work. Though extremely smart and beautiful, she could be extremely mean at times and didn't even realise it.

Her mother was from Autonoe, a moon of Jupiter, and her father was from Earth. She had a really vivid, grass-green eye and a blood red one. Her hair were dark violet and her skin was bright blue. Her ears were pointy and there was a barely visible tattoo of an elliptic moon on her forehead. She had a ring piercing on her nose and another one on her bottom lip. She'd been thinking of getting one on her eyebrow, but decided against it because she realised that she was broke. That's when she allegedly joined the crew.

She was always mad at someone and most of the time she didn't even know why.

"What? Is she whining again? It's not my fault she's dumb as hell. She doesn't get anything I tell her." Dinah rolled her eyes and crossed her arms as she walked out on the corridor to talk to her captain.

"That's not why I'm here, but the fights you keep having with Rena are worth discussing."

"Just get to the point."

"I've got orders from the Space Office to do a background check on all of you."

"Why?"

"Because we live in a beurecratic society that loves making us common people do more and more paperwork."

"That means nothing to me. I want a real explanation. What the hell is going on?"

"That's confidential."

"So is my personal background, got it? If you can't tell me what you need that all for, I won't tell you about it. You know what you need to know. Now, if you decide to tell me what all this is about, I might consider telling you more."

"What do you have to hide?"

"None of your business."

"If you've murdered someone, don't I deserve to know? As a captain I have to take care of my crew. If you're dangerous to everyone else, I have to know."

"Is that what this is all about? Is it because of my temper?"

"No, Dinah, it's just beurecratic trash and I'm using extreme situations to convince you to talk to me. If you're in trouble we can work it out, okay?"

"I'm not in trouble." Dinah growled, glaring at Darren.

"That's not going to help you."

Dinah only gritted her teeth, looking away.

"I've done time in jail."

"Me too, so what?"

"I almost killed someone."

"Who?"

"An ex girlfriend. She didn't approve of my then relationship and found it disgusting that I also liked guys. She didn't know it back when we were together. I got mad."

"Rightfully so."

"She was in the hospital for two months. I was in jail for just as many years. I got in space for a fresh start. That fight ruined my life back home; in both homes." Dinah gulped.

"What about your boyfriend or your parents?" Darren asked her.

"Ha! Good one." she scoffed. "My parents weren't really fans of my sexuality and anger issues either, so they didn't really bother to come to support me in court, much less visit me in prison. My boyfriend broke up with me and ran off with the money I told him to use to pay for the bail. Let's just say that if I ever run into him again, I'll be going to jail for another assault. Now, imagine an eighteen-year-old, openly bisexual girl from two different planets, who also has multiple piercings and a tattoo, trying to defend herself- on her own- in an extremely conservative court on Saturn. I didn't stand a chance."