(Alyssa and Warren One Shot)

dedicated to @arctic_ :))

For those of you who haven't read The Heartbroken Heartbreaker, you probably should, to get some background on these characters. It a really well made story and I recommend it to anyone with or without a heartbreak, it seriously helps. I also think the writer has some really brilliant lines in the story. So, check it out! :) This specific one shot is for a contest thingy in the end. Enjoy! :)

***

There are certain moments in your life where you come to a conclusion that things happen due to fate. Where it feels like all the choices you've made, were specifically to lead you to this particular moment. A moment of change. For the good or the bad. The moment can vary for different people, or different times. It can be as simple as taking a left instead of right and getting the job of your dreams, or as grand as arriving late to a bus stop, to find out later that the bus you were supposed to go on, had gotten into a horrible accident. For me, my moment came in the form of an ordinary saturday morning, in an ordinary coffee shop. It was supposed to be a date I guess. Her name was Mary, she was beautiful, cheerful, and refreshing. I thought I could do it. Take someone else out, without thinking about her. But just one glance, a peek of her sitting alone inside the ordinary coffee shop, with her chestnut wavy hair tucked perfectly behind her ears, her delicate fingers clutching a cup of coffee, while her breathtaking eyes took in the words on the page she was on, and face sculpted in an adorable frown of concentration. And that was all it took. I gave Mary a call to tell her I couldn't make it, and that I didn't think we would work out, glad that she didn't sound too upset by it. Taking a deep breath, I slipped my phone back into my pocket, and nervously walked into the coffee shop; hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

She hadn't noticed me yet. Of course she wouldn't. From the way she's furiously scanning the pages of the book, I can tell she wouldn't even notice if the shop was on fire. When Alyssa puts her mind on something, the rest of the world simply doesn't exist. And that's just one of the things I've grown to love about her. After ordering my own favourite cup of coffee, I headed towards Alyssa. Every step I took went with a slight hesitation as my mind came up with reasons why I shouldn't approach her, but I took another step anyway. And another. And another. Until I stood beside her table. Just as I was about to change my mind and turn back, she sensed my presence and looked up at me. Her expression of shock mirrored mine, before I cleared my throat and took the seat across from her. "This seat's not taken right?" I asked.

She shook her head no, quickly shoving her book inside her bag. "So uh," She squeaked. Clearing her throat she continued, "What are you doing here?"

I chuckled at her nervousness, keeping in mind that just two seconds ago, that was me. "Well you know, I was just around the area. Needed some coffee, saw you in here all alone, and thought maybe you needed some company," I lied.

I could see the doubt all over her face, as she considered what I just said, and whether to believe me or not. "Well I didn't exactly need company," She addressed, averting her eyes.

"Everybody needs my company," I remark, giving her a playful grin.

She rolls her eyes at me before muttering, "Humble as always."

"Only with you" I retorted looking into her eyes, hoping that she'll read between the lines, and understand that the sentence meant more.

Her smile faltered as she sucked in a breath and looked away. "Warren," She sighed.

The same as usual. We start slipping back to the way we were, and it's as if a switch is pulled, and she starts to shut down, shut me out, shut us out. Then she says my name, as if to remind me that we can't do this, we can't be together. But we can. We so can. But she doesn't see.