i. a heck of a night

CHAPTER ONE 
❝ A HECK OF A NIGHT. ❞

I HAD NEVER BEEN MORE DRUNK IN MY ENTIRE LIFE

I quickly downed the rest of my fifth tequila shot and waited for the burn to rush down my throat. At this point, I was sort of numb to the burn but I had decided to go for another drink. I looked around, checking for any sign of Derek or Thea, before pushing through the crowd.

"Exc-use me-e-e!" I yelled. "I-Incomi-ng!"

The music pounded loudly as the crowd moved together. No one stood still; the dance floor was full from wall to wall but I had somehow managed to break free from the bunch of sweat-clad, close bodies, shoving some of them onto the floor in the process, and stumble over to the bar.

The bartender looked at my state, concerned, as I struggled to hold onto the bar counter. I held my empty glass in the air and raised an eyebrow at him before the glass slid from my hand and smashed onto the floor pitifully.

I pulled my mouth into a sloppy grin as I leaned onto the counter and shoved the glass fragments under the counter with my foot. I laughed, trying to mask the accident, and finally managed to spill a few drunk words out of my mouth. "I-I-I wouuuld like—"

But I was stopped when I felt a pair of hands land on both of my shoulders. I swiftly turned my head around, pulling my smile into a frown but instantly regretted moving my head so fast as my vision became blurry. I blinked several times for my eyes to finally make out the face of Thea Carlton.

"I'm sorry..." Thea said to the bartender, before looking down at the drunk grin plastered on my face. "...that's enough drinks, Aura. Come with me."

She pulled me up from where I was sitting and sent the bartender an apologetic grin. If I was sober, I would've resisted. But I was far from sober so I followed her away from the bar counter towards the crowd, knowing that if I had not, she'd probably have yelled at me for the rest of night.

"Excuse me." Thea grumbled several times at the ignorant crowd who blocked our way.

Having realized that she could not be heard over the loud music, she shouted again, this time a heck of a lot louder. "Move, shitheads!"

But still she earned no response, so she pushed through, shoving several drunk people out of the way, and pulled me through with her before we eventually made it to the seating.

I immediately slumped onto the soft, cushioned couch and patted the spot next to me whilst grinning at Thea. She sighed and sat down sideways, facing me.

"Whyyy- can't- I have- another- drink?" I asked through several hiccups.

Thea raised her eyebrows at me. "That's why. You're too drunk."