Chapter 17

Maddie's POV

"I don't... I don't..." he shakes his head.

"Caleb," I walk closer to him and one of his hands, "this was supposed to be our day."

"I know," he stares at me.

"But this day would have never happened if Jace hadn't set Bella up," I state.

"Maddie.."

"It's all your decision, Caleb," I take his other hand so I'm holding both of his hands now, "but.. we're not getting married today."

"Maddie," he says again.

I shake my head, "if you pick me, we still aren't getting married today, Caleb. I don't want to have this as a memory of our wedding day."

"Yeah, I get that," he looks down.

"If you pick Bella," I look down at the floor and feel my tears threatening to spill, then I look back up at him, "I support it."

He stares at me and I wipe my eyes before turning around and opening the door. I look at him again before walking out and closing the door behind me. I walk back down the stairs and everyone looks at me. I stare at Cade blankly and he stares back. I look around at everyone else as they have confused looks on their faces.

"Caleb and I.. we.. we're not getting married today," I tell them.

"What?!" Gabby yells, coming over to me. She turns around and looks and Cade, "What the hell did you do?!"

"I told Caleb that... I told him that Bella was set up," he answers.

"What?!" Gabby walks over to him, "What the hell are you talking about?"

Cade explains everything to the guests and I walk back over to the corner.

"But you had to wait to tell him in the middle of the wedding?!" Gabby shrieks.

"I didn't think it was fair to Bella what happened," he mumbles.

And he's right. It wasn't fair to her.

"You could have told him, maybe, I don't know, before the wedding?! Or after!!" Gabby continues to yell at him.

"Maddie?" I hear a soft voice.

I look over my shoulder and see Jurnee. I give her a fake smile, "Hey."

"I'm sorry, Maddie," she says.

I shake my head and turn around, "I can't believe all of this."

The guests start to talk amongst themselves. Finally Gabby comes over to where Jurnee and I are standing.

"Maddie, let me tell you..." she says.

"Gabby," I shake my head at her.

"I don't care if she was set up or not. She did it once so she sure as hell is capable of doing it again," she says.

"But she hasn't," I tell her, "she said she was fighting for her marriage, and maybe she meant it."

"Why was she over at Jace's place though?" Jurnee asks, confused.

"She was signing the papers to buy the house from Jace. She bought the house for her and Caleb and their daughter."

"Shit," Gabby mumbles, "Okay, Maddie?"

"What?"

"If Caleb goes back to her its probably out of pity," she says, "and I don't give a damn what he says. I want you to fight for him. He's better off with you anyways. He really called off the marriage?"

"No... I did," I sigh.

"What! Why?! He should be with you and you know it," Gabby says.

"Gabby, I can't make his mind up for him. If he wants to be with Bella, then..." I'm cut off when everyone's attention goes to the stairs.

I look over and see Caleb. He stares at me and I stare back.

"I'm... I'm really sorry everyone. I guess there won't be a wedding today," he says.

"Maddie, I'm sorry," Cade says to me.

"You should be!" Gabby speaks for me.

"Cade, I'm not mad at you for being honest with Caleb. He needed to know the truth and I actually respect you for telling him, even when Jace told you not to. It's just the timing," I say.

"I know," he says softly.

"I was a little.. humiliated standing at the alter alone after you just took him away," I say.

"I'm sorry," he says.

I only give him a small sad smile before walking off. I walk over to Caleb and look into his eyes and he looks back.

"I just need time to think," he says softly.

I nod, "of course."

By now, pretty much all of the guests have left. Our families went back to the hotel, and so did Harley and Cassie. It's only Caleb and I, Gabby, and Catie. I guess Cade was uncomfortable being there so he left.

Suddenly Caleb's phone starts ringing. I glance down and look at the screen as I see Bella's name across the top. He hesitates but eventually brings the phone up to his ear.

"Hello?" He answers and then his mouth opens, "Uh.. oh.. oh gosh, okay, I'm on my way now."

"What's going on? Is she okay?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "I hope so."

He goes out the door and I turn to look at Gabby and Catie. I shrug and look down at my wedding dress. I put my hand over my mouth and start crying again.

We go upstairs and Gabby and Catie help me out of my dress. Whenever I'm changed, we go back downstairs and I take a moment to look around at the scenery. I remember Caleb smiling at me when I started down the aisle.

We were happy. This was supposed to be our day.

I look up at the ceiling and try to keep myself from crying again. Gabby and Catie go back to my apartment with me. I send Caleb a text message and ask him if everything is okay. After a second my phone dings and I see that he's texted me back.

"Oh my gosh," I say, after reading it.

"What?" Gabby asks.

"Bella... she fell," I say.