Chapter Seven: The Rules

.•° ✿ °•.

"Rules?" I scoffed, "I think I understand them plainly. Nothing much has changed aside from my accommodations, I'm still a prisoner."

"Yes, however, now you're to be living in the castle, and so, you must follow my rules."

"Fine. What are they?" I rolled my eyes.

"First, you mustn't leave this castle without my permission, and a guard accompanying you. Second, you will obey my commands, and do as I tell you. Third, you will not try to escape, or the results will be unpleasant for you."

"Just as I suspected, nothing has changed." I scoffed, "Anyways, you said you would answer my questions, did you not?"

"I did indeed, dear. Ask away." he smirked.

"I'll just save us both the trouble of posing a hundred questions and ask only this; What happened that night?"

"Well, after our last meeting I left the castle to handle some business in a neighbouring town, however, due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cut our journey short. We were originally meant to be away for a month, but wound up returning the evening that Christian decided to go against my orders and interrogate you himself. I was headed to the prison that evening when I heard a scream coming from the room you were inside. I let myself in, found you, and took you back to your cell, end of story." he concluded.

"Why had you been going to the prison? And what happened to Christain?" I asked.

"It's no concern of yours why I was going to the prison. And as for Christian's fate, well, I had no weapons on me, and there were no guards in the vicinity to call for, so I told him to leave, and that should he return, he would be executed." he said matter-of-factly.

"You said you returned me to my cell after you'd found me?" I questioned.

"Yes."

"Then who sutured my wounds?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Well I couldn't simply let you bleed out." he turned away.

My brows shot up. Had I for once made the King flustered? Was he trying to make it look as though he didn't care about me, when really, he did?

"Why didn't we see each other for such a long time afterwards?" I asked, opting to change the subject.

"Simple, dear, I was bored of you and had war matters to attend to." he answered, his arrogant aura returning.

"Did you? And those matters held off long enough for us to converse every day before?" I smirked.

"You're looking too deep into the matter, darling, what I said was the truth, you were boring me." he huffed.

"Was I? And so, what made you want to enlist me as a mistress?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I grew tired of people harming what was rightfully mine." he shrugged.

"Yours? I'm not yours."

"I'm afraid you're mistaken, my dear, you were mine the moment your regimen set foot in this castle." he smirked, brushing the back of his hand against my face.

"So, in other words, you were concerned for my wellbeing?" I said smugly, swatting his hand away.

"Simply put, my Rose, I don't take kindly to those that have the audacity to touch my possessions. Besides, if anyone is going to touch you it is going to be me" he retorted, letting his hands fall to my hips.

"Whatever you say..." I pushed him away, making for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked, taking a step towards me.