Chapter Seven

Stars Reborn

Chapter Seven

The diversion was successful.

"That was brilliant, Cari!" Marilyn said, ecstatic.

I blushed. "Thank you! I try."

"I'm so proud of you." Marilyn said.

"Well, we'd better keep going if we want to make it to Canada." I said as I began to drive again.

A good hour of the ride was spent in silence, with Marilyn tending to the chicken and chicks that I had brought and the shrunken cow.

When nightfall came, Marilyn suggested that I get some rest.

"Okay." I said as I pulled over and let Marilyn climb into the passenger seat, where I then climbed into the back so she could get into the driver's seat.

I tried to fall asleep, but I just couldn't.

"Marilyn, can you tell me a story from the good old days?" I asked as she threw a blanket and pillow into the back that she must have found in the trunk of the car.

"Having trouble falling asleep?" Marilyn asked.

"Yeah." I responded.

"Sure. I'll tell you a story." Marilyn responded.

"It was, hm, I think, 2300. Yeah. Anyway, my brother and I were playing in the front yard of our house. We lived in the suburbs of Washington D.C., or America's former capitol city.

"We were playing with some foam swords that our mother bought for us at a dollar store somewhere. At some point, I had fallen on the ground, with my brother pointing the end of the fake sword to my neck. Then, the little neighbor boy who definitely had a crush on me, came over and said, "Don't worry, my little damsel in distress, I will save you from the evil king of this land!"

That was the last thing I heard of Marilyn's story before I fell asleep.

The Next Day...

I woke up and saw that Marilyn was still driving.

"Good morning, Marilyn." I said as I yawned.

"Good morning, Cari bear. Do you mind if I call you that?' She questioned.

"No! Call be Cari bear all you want. I actually like the name. Hm." I said as Marilyn began to pull over to switch roles with me.

She smiled as I climbed over the console before she did the same. I then climbed over to the driver's seat and began to drive in the exact direction that Marilyn said was the way to freedom.

Good old Canada.

With Marilyn snoring in the backseat, I decided to pull an orange out of the cooler and snack on that to keep me focused throughout the day of driving and loneliness.

Several Hours Later...

I heard Marilyn mumble something.

Perplexed, I turned back to see what was wrong. But then, I heard a scream.

I slammed on the brakes and saw a man.

He had dirty blond hair, which was almost brown. He was wearing camouflage pants with a white shirt and camouflage combat boots.

In a panic, I got out and ran over to him.

"I'm sorry!" I said frantically. "Are you okay?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm just a little startled."