Nico, making friends...?

"My deepest apologies, Your Highness. We were not aware of such a dark object being kept here, in Gringotts. We have a principal of impartiality when it comes to storing our customers' golds, treasures, property and inheritance. While we are aware that we house vaults belonging to "Death Eaters", amassing dark artefacts, due to our principal, we have not done anything about them, unless of course, the DMLE issues a warrant for them," the Head Goblin explained as they stalked through the hallways, leading Nico to a cart.

"That's quite alright. Only my father and I can sense the corrupted soul within," and Harry Potter, Nico mused in his mind, considering the lad is a Horcrux himself thus establishing connection with Tom Riddle and the rest of his scattered souls. A sudden enlightenment occurred to him for a moment, carefully stowing the idea away in a corner of his mind to consider later. He turned his focus back at the present.

"And besides, it's not really any of our business. I am only here today because of my quest. It is best for your goblin nation to simply observe and remain neutral," Nico added.

"Here we are," the Head Goblin motioned to the cart and Nico jumped in, promptly followed by the goblin.

"Hold on tight. It will be quite the ride, Your Highness," the Head Goblin forewarned. Nico simply nodded.

LINBREAK---

The ride was exhilarating. Nico enjoyed it. He stepped out of the cart and observed his surroundings. They were in a deep underground cave. Stalactites protruded all around him. Looming a few feet in front of him was an open circular stone pavilion supported by tall pillars that paved way to the Lestrange's Vault.

Nico watched as the Head Goblin placed the whole of his palm against the Vault's door. Some magic must be at work since the door of the vault melted away to reveal a cave-like opening crammed from floor to ceiling with golden coins & goblets, silver armour, the skins of strange creatures with long spines, others with drooping wings, potions in jewelled flasks, and a skull still wearing a crown. Nico contemplated the skull with trepidation. He could just will it to animate and become one of his skeleton warriors but thought better of it and left it alone. Best not to draw attention to him by walking out of Gringotts with an undead. However, tempting the ensuing chaos that would cause. Lay low. He scolded himself.

Nico perused the vault and sense an uncomfortable twinge in his gut that practically tells him the treasures are protected by strong curses (mild to him). He woven a confined area curse detection spell to determine the malicious curses about. Usually he would not even bother to identify the curses and obliterated them offhandedly. But since he did not want to disturb the vault and leave any sign that he had been there and messed with it, he left the security curses alone.

Nico noticed an oppressive pressure within the vault. The soul pulse identical to the one he felt coming from the Peverell Ring, no doubt one of Tom's Horcrux but fainter in comparison. Nico wondered if it's a side effect of creating more than 1 Horcruxes. It felt weaker than the previous. He shrugged and moved towards the source bypassing the curses Flagrante and Germine along the way, being immune to them. If it was any other mortal wizards, every time they touched a treasure, it would burn and multiply, raising the danger. Nico rounded the area, found the cup that caused ringing in his ears and reached for it. He pulled out a satin cloth bag, spelled to safely contain cursed objects and vanished it into his shadow. He went back the way he came and gestured to the Head Goblin that he was finished. They walked out of the vault, watched it safely closed and head back to the cart to return to the surface.

LINEBREAK---

Nico made a quick job of destroying the Horcrux, Helga Hufflepuff's Cup with Hellfire, once he reached the safety of vault 713 where the Head Goblin helpfully led him to. While Nico wanted to return to the Underworld, the Head Goblin insisted to hold a feast for him lest the goblin nation would be accused for being terrible host to the Prince of Darkness. Nico agreed, if only to avoid the mass of paper work he had to deal with a little while longer.

*knock knock*

The sound of knocking on the door broke Nico from his nap with a start.

He must have fallen asleep and his lost focus caused the notice-me-not charm to be dispelled.

"Excuse me. Can I have a seat? The other compartments aren't very...," stuttered a raven-haired boy around Nico's age appearance.

Nico sat up straight from his laying position to a proper seating posture and gestured the boy to come in. He should have been more careful. Carelessness can spell a Demigod's doom as it had in the past. Not that anything can kill Nico at this point.

"Thank you," stuttered the boy. "Neville Longbottom," the boy outstretched his hand for a handshake.

In a truly princely fashion, Nico shook the boy's hand and a nod of his head in acknowledgement of the boy.

"Nico di Angelo" Nico replied. Neville gave him a curious look.

"I have never seen you before. You look like you're in my year, are you the exchange student that the prefects have been talking about?" Neville inquired with a smile pointedly looking at Nico's unsorted school robe.

"Oh, it would seem that I am already the talk of the school then? I expected Professor Dumbledore to announce my arrival quite dramatically tonight during the welcoming feast, or so I have heard of his antics," Nico commented dryly.

Neville wore a wry smile as he regarded Nico with approval. He seems to like Nico's cold sense of humour. Nico could not imagine why.

"Yes. The headmaster is rather famous for his...theatrics. Coupled with his choice of clothing," Neville chuckled. Unable to comprehend the reason, but Neville feels like talking to an old friend.

Nico snorted. Nico figured the old chump needed to get his fashion sense straight. But he could deduce that it was a rather cunning way of getting oneself underestimated. He had to applaud for that.

Nico reminisce the first time he sees the headmaster. It was when Nico went to retrieve the third Horcrux in the list, The Slytherin's Locket.