Chapter Three

"Annie, I-" Armin tried to say, but he had no time to do so. "Why would you do this to me?" Annie said, and she could tell she was about to cry. She hated that feeling. It made her feel weak, but when she felt that, it angered her.
"Please, let me explain-" another attempt was made to persuade. "I don't care if you have a good explanation or not. Get out. Don't come back. Don't talk to me ever again, or even dare to think of me." Armin has already seen her bad side moments before, and he knew that wasn't at her full capacity.
Yet he hesitated. "I'll give you a minute to get your things." was as much mercy as Annie would allow herself. Apparently Armin had a death wish, since he said, "Only if you let me explain."
That was it. She snapped. From the next room he heard glass shattering and even more screaming and swearing in Russian. He realised what he had done, and that if he didn't move quickly, he could get hurt.
Needless to say, he left. Annie heard the door close, and just broke down. She cried. And cried. It seemed like it was hours of endless sobbing. She got herself back together, and only then noticed the carnage in her apartment. She went to go grab a broom and dustpan, and when she reached out, her hand was covered in blood and, miraculously, no glass.
A soft knock at the door woke Annie back up from her fading focus on her cuts. "Come in," she said. "Sorry, it's locked," her friend said. She dragged herself to the door and opened it. Reiner and Bertholdt were standing in the doorway. They had heard everything.