Chapter 7

| Chapter Seven |

A mistake is to commit a misunderstanding

- Bob Dylan

The day seemed to fly by. Every class was fast and simple and that was different. Noah walked with me to every class even if it was out of his way, he didn't seem to mind. We were in silence mostly but it was nice. Of course, the whispering happened everywhere with or without him but I survived. After Geography, I was packing my books and swung my bag over my shoulders. I was then ambushed by a girl with blue eyes and an ugly look on her face. She scanned me from head to toe and scoffed. She glared into my eyes and took a threatening step towards me.

Who was this girl?

I stopped breathing when she chuckled dryly.

"So, this is who Noah's hooking up with now, huh?"

What, no I wasn't hooking up with Noah. Noah? More like no way. Of course, I couldn't feel my legs, and expecting me to say some clever comeback was like expecting the world to swallow me up. Only I could dream.

"She's so weird. I didn't even know she goes to this school." A small girl said behind her, sneering and looked as fake as her eyebrows.

My grip tightened on my bag straps but I continued to stay quiet. I looked at the exit, hoping that someone would save me.

The door opened and Hailey's eyes widened and stormed over to me. She grabbed the girl's shoulder and slapped her across the cheek.

"Really Stephanie? After cheating on your boyfriend, you decide to torment his new friend. Wow, how low of you." My stomach clenched on the word 'friend'. Friends? Were we really friends? I mean, it's literally been like two days but to be fair, I haven't hung out with someone as much as Noah, except Hailey. Hailey grabbed my arm and pulled me out of that room muttering to herself.

"That slut. Who does she think she is? And to pick on Chloe? Oh, Stephanie, someone doesn't bow down to you so of course you have the god given gift to torment them and make their life hell. Oh yes Stephanie. Of course, Noah will forever be yours, but also every other guy." she rolled her eyes and sarcasm kept dripping out.

"Hailey?"

She snapped back and realized we were walking in the wrong direction to the cafeteria. She sent me an apologetic gaze and I passed a small smile back. We walked back towards the cafeteria and I saw Noah looming around the entrance doors with his hands in his pockets and staring at the ground while he tapped his foot.

Hailey shouted at Noah and he looked up and smiled at both of us. He brushed his hair with his hands and walked up to us.

"Hey, what took you so long?"

"Oh you know," started Hailey but I finished for her.

"I had to put some books away" and gave a tight smile. Hailey looked at me with a confuzzled look but I kept my eyes on Noah. He nodded softly and then dramatically gestured towards the cafeteria. I chuckled and rolled my eyes and as a three, we faced the crowd of the cafeteria.

The cafeteria seemed normal. Everyone was sitting in their normal places and chatting. The noise bounced off the walls and stepping into the room felt like entering a bubble of sound and it felt strangely welcoming. I queued up for the cafeteria food and Hailey went to sit at our normal table by the wall close to the entrance. Noah stood behind me but when it was time to get food, he didn't get any. He just accompanied me to get food.

This is what friends do, I guess.

We sat down and thank the frenchiest fries that the events from the morning didn't happen again. Sure, there were a few glances and stuff, but people seemed to accept things.

Which was weird.

My school liked to blow things into over exaggerated stories and rumours spread in a plague like speed. Like once, a party that some jock was hosting had forgot to invite one cheerleader and she raised absolute hell. Rumours went that she actually trashed the party, and eventually called the police on them. Some went as far as labelling her as a serial killer and a secret prostitute. Just because she didn't get invited to a party.

Some people need more drama than necessary and that just bugged me.

But seeing everyone so calm and normal, it was... surreal.

Noah was just tapping his fingers on the opposite side of the table while Hailey blabbered on about something next to me. I couldn't help but stare at his features. His messy black hair seemed more intentional than yesterday, making some shape but still I wanted to run my hands through it to fix it-

Hold up.

What?

No, Chloe, no. You can not 'run your hands through it', just no.

Oh shush. Don't lie to me, you'd want to. It looked soft and comfortable and probably smelled great like-

Oh. My. Glob. Stop. Please. I will actually puke, like that time in 8th grade where you puked on stage after performing.

I cringed and realized that I was still staring at Noah. But he was looking at me back. I quickly turned towards Hailey and started aimlessly nodding.

"So Chloe," Hailey started with a smile. "Are you going to prom?"

"Hails, it's like October. Prom's like six months away. I haven't even thought of it."

Hailey rolled her eyes and tsked. "I heard some people already have their prom dresses. Apparently, Stephanie had her dress-"

Noah's eyes darkened, it was subtle but I noticed it. With the clenching fists and the confrontation this morning, I finally put two and two together.

"OH! You and Stephanie were dating." I shouted.

Okay, so I have this problem of blurting out things when I figure out things. It's never ever helped me in life. In the middle of classes, I would sometimes shout out the answer accidently and the stares my classmates would give me made me sink into my seat in embarrassment.

This was no different.

He shot a look at me. It was of hurt and anger but mostly shock. Heck, I was shocked at my own outburst and could feel my cheeks heat up and quickly averted my eyes to the table. I felt him stand up from in front of me and heard the cafeteria doors open.

Before I knew what I was doing, I was up as well.

Oooh, dramaaaa. jk, anyways I hope you guys are having a great day! Stay updated and see you in the next chapter ;)

- L