chapter five

I sat down at the dining table for breakfast.

"You almost failed your Economics test yet again." Dad said. His eyes were still fixed on the newspaper he was reading.

"Good morning to you too, dad." I sarcastically replied and he looked at me.

"Jared is worried about you, Huzaifah. He fears you'll fail the finals." Dad said.

"I won't fail, dad." I replied, uninterested in the conversation. Having your father's best friend as your teacher sucks.

"With this attitude, I doubt that, son." He said before starting his breakfast.

After breakfast, I left to meet up with Jacob. We had planned to see the new Captain America film with some of our friends tonight.

---

"Dude, what does being out of someone's league mean?" Jacob asked. I gave him a puzzled look.

"It means that someone or something is too good for someone to have," I replied and a smirk began to creep up on his face.

"That's exactly what Nawal is for you," he laughed and I just stared at him.

"You should shut up if you don't want to go to the movies with a black eye," I seriously replied and he laughed harder.

"You should give up, really. You've been trying for a month now," he said.

"She's difficult, I admit, but she won't stay that way forever," I told him.

"Let's hope," he laughed.

She was getting on my nerves but a challenge is a challenge.

I had just to get her to like me by the end of the semester. Five months.

---

"That was the best movie I've ever seen!" Marie excitedly said.

"I told you you'd like it," Jacob replied and I mentally laughed. He was trying so hard to get her to like him. He was a DC guy and he didn't like Marvel at all but he pretended to like it because Marie liked it.

"I'm hungry!" Sterling said.

"Me too," Marie replied. "Let's go to Billy's?" She suggested. Billy's Burgers was a famous burger joint in this city.

"You're vegan," Sterling told her as if reminding her the fact.

"Oh, I totally forgot that!" She replied in fake shock and I laughed. "Their veg burger can be made vegan upon request," she added.

The place is usually packed with people on Sundays and while I was kinda hungry, I wasn't in a mood to go to such a crowded place at the moment. Too much noise.

"I'll pass," I said. "I'm not really hungry, but you guys carry on," I added.

"Are you sure?" Jacob asked.

"Yup," I replied.

The group then went to the restaurant and I returned home. Mom was in the kitchen and dad was in the living room, I suppose.

I went up to my room and opened up my laptop. I had sent her a friend request again. I have never been so desperate to become friends with someone before. I opened her profile. She hadn't declined it yet. Is this a step towards success? Maybe she's finally realising she has been over reacting a bit.

"Huzi, beta!" I heard mom call me from downstairs. I closed the laptop screen and got up from my bed and jogged down the staircase.

"Yeah, mom?" I asked Mom, who was standing by the ajar main door. "Going somewhere?" I asked.

"Yes, your dad and I are visiting an old friend of his. I know how you don't like going to dinners so I told your dad that you have an important Economics test to study for." She said, emphasising 'economics' and I smiled. She knew me so well.

"I love you, mom." I told before hugging her.

"I love you too, meri jaan*." She replied. "Dinner's ready in the kitchen. I made lasagna for you. It's on the counter. Do not sleep on an empty stomach." She added as we broke the hug and I nodded.

"Aye aye Captain!" I replied and she laughed.

"Allah Hafiz," she said and I replied with the same before shutting the door.

I went straight to the kitchen that smelled delicious from the freshly cooked food. I lifted the lid of the dish that was placed on the counter and served myself some lasagna. I ate at the counter itself.

NAWAL

"Does this look good?" I asked mom showing her how I garnished the Kheer with almonds and pistachios.

"Yes, it looks beautiful," mom replied. "You're getting better at cooking," she added and I grinned.

"All credit goes to the MasterChef," I gestured toward her and she laughed.

"I'll do the rest, you go and change," she said and I took off the apron before heading upstairs to my room.

One of dad's old friends is visiting us with his wife after a long time. Supposedly, they last met when I was around 5 years old and then they moved to a different state and lost contact. And now dad coincidentally met his friend and found out that they moved back here years ago and they've been living in this very city ever since but none of them knew that the other lived here. Quite dramatic but as Shakespeare said it, "all the world's a stage."

I changed into a shalwar kameez and went downstairs to the kitchen.

"Ah, look at how beautiful you look in Pakistani attire!" Mom complimented as soon as I entered the kitchen.

"Thanks, mom," I replied. "Do you need help with anything?" I asked her.

"No, beta. All is done here," she replied.

The doorbell rang.

"It must be them," mom said and we walked out of the kitchen.

Dad opened the door and him and mom met the guests.

---

The guests, Haroon uncle and Samina aunty seemed really nice. They were actually really fun to talk to, they didn't seem like the boring kind of relatives.

"Would you like coffee or tea?" I asked.

"Coffee," was everyone's reply and I was happy because I made better coffee than tea.

I went to the kitchen and made coffee for everyone. A few minutes later, Nabeel walked in.

"I'm hungry!" He pouted.

"It's just 7 o'clock, Nabeel. Besides where did those chicken nuggets go?" I playfully asked him about the friend snacks he ate just an hour ago.

He made a face forcing me to pull his cheeks.

I dished out a kabab with some ketchup.

"Here," I said placing it on the table.

"You're the best!" He excitedly said before indulging in the untimely snack.