Le Braiser de l'Hotel de Ville

Mary Dupont, March 3, 1917 - December 14, 1940: Death by Consumption

Henry Betancourt, September 7, 1916 - January 3, 1941

Death at Staglag Death Camp

>

He held Mary close as if it were the last time.

Because it was the last time.

He was off to fight the Germans that threatened to invade their home country of France, but Mary had Consumption and would not outlast the winter and his return.

"I love you, my sweetest Mary, and I will always be with you...until the bitter end." Henry whispered softly into her ear.

Mary had begun to cry into his shoulder now, but all he could to comfort her was stroke her hair and kiss away her tears.

"I love you Henry, I always have and I always shall. Until we meet again...?" Mary said sadly, as she turned, as if to walk away.

He couldn't control himself any longer, as he gently took her shoulder and turned her back to him.

She looked up at him, with grief stricken eyes full of tears, and at the corner of her trembling lips, was a blood droplet, slowly trickling down her chin. He reached up to wipe it away, and as he did so, she leaned into his touch, allowing the tears to fall freely down her already damp cheeks.

"We will meet again, Mary." Henry reassured her as he continued to stroke her hair.

With that, he brought her lips to his and, tentatively, she reached around his neck and kissed him back tenderly as Henry lifted her into his arms.

They stayed like that for a few perfect moments until he set her down and let her go, as he began to walk away.

"I shall wait for you!" She called out; this caused her to cough violently, blood spattering onto the soft, white leather glove, covering her mouth.

He began to cry then. He reached up and have a little wave as he mouthed,

"I love you."

He turned from her one final time and began to walk towards his brigade, which was patiently waiting for him to finish up with his fiancé. The aircraft carrier that he was about to board, was bound straight for the battlefront....