C H A P T E R XII

"SORRY KID," THE JANITOR told her, "Brunner's out for a short vacation with his family. Won't be back for two weeks."

Annabeth nodded, and stood still I her place. Once the janitor was out of sight, she banged her head repeatedly against the door to the principal's office. She whispered a few curses under her breath. Two weeks? She could do a lot of things within two weeks! Sketches, projects, all stuck in one place for two weeks! She wasn't even sure if her sketchbook was in there! She wanted to scream in frustration. But instead, she stomped her foot and messed up her ponytail.

"Weirdo," a passing voice retorted. And of course, it was none other than Jackson himself. She glared at his retreating figure, definitely not in the mood for any more conflict.

But alas, there was no escape. It was a Monday, and they had to work together in the afternoon--the whole afternoon. Annabeth finally released a groan.

"Hear that, Nyssa?" another voice said, "Another sound."

Clarisse.

She groaned again.

"Woah, woah, someone is on fire today!"

She turned to them with a deadpanned look.

"Aww, Clarisse, look," Nyssa cooed, "she's annoyed."

"Shame, a total shame."

"Indeed, because you're coming with us either way." They both immediately dragged her to the janitor's closet. At this point, Annabeth wasn't even going to freak out. All of this has already become a part of her life so she better suck it up and accept it, like realizing that menstruation isn't going away until it's done with you.

Sighing, she whipped out her phone, prepared for any responses.

"We have a plan." Nyssa started.

"A great plan," Clarisse added.

"A wonderful plan."

"A tremendous plan."

"An imperishable plan."

"A plan so good that it--"

Annabeth interrupted them by snapping her fingers and pointing at her watch, telling them to get on with it already.

"Okay. It's for Rodriguez."

"And hopefully, it'll scare away that douche forever."

'What is it with this obsession with Chris?' she typed.

"It's not an obsession!" Clarisse snapped.

"It...kind of is, now that I think about it." Nyssa piped.

"It is not!"

'What's the plan?'

"Ha, that's the thing," Clarisse said slowly, " we don't know yet."

Annabeth reached for the door, but Nyssa held her back while the other held the doorknob.

"That's why you're here!" the girl in the bandana grinned.

Oh hell no, she thought and vigorously shook her head.

"C'mon, Annie, it'll be fun!" Nyssa exclaimed, but their inarticulate friend continued to shake her head.

"We'll give you time to think about it," Clarisse told her, and opened the door.

"We love you, Annie!" Nyssa shouted back at her once the two were a few feet away, causing people passing by to look at the pair.

"OI, CHASE!" Someone called.

Annabeth cursed. She knew that voice from anywhere, but honestly, facing Chris Rodriguez was better than Percy Jackson by a far mile. Begrudgingly, she turned to the boy's direction.

She raised her eyebrows as if to say, Yes?

"Heard you were conspiring with La Rue," Chris sneered at her, "planning shit."

Eyes widened, she shook her head.

"You sure? Because I'm totally cool with it," he laughed, and it disturbed Annabeth to think that it sounded quite pleasant, but then he stepped closer to her ear and whispered, "I'll let you go with a warning. Female or not, next time I catch you in this bullshit, I will not hesitate to cut you. Got it?"

Annabeth vigorously nodded.

"Cool. Nice Endgame shirt, by the way. Pegged you as a Cahokian, instead of a Mu." He patted her head and walked away.

She looked down at her t-shirt, referencing Mu, a tribe from the book Endgame by James Frey. She thought no one read that book, it wasn't exactly popular in mainstream media. Yet, there was Chris Rodriguez, who perfectly understood the vague symbol on her shirt.

----
What am I doing with my life

For MONTHS I had thought I already published this chapter (this was already ready by August) and I never questioned why I hadnt managed to receive any notifs for Chapter 12. And now I know why.

I am so sorry I am so irresponsible agh I have been so busy with graduating from junior high to moving out of my hometown to a city 12 hours away for senior high and everything is taking a toll on me im so sorry.

But I do kind of have a mini surprise for everyone on Christmas Eve or after it. I have been working on it the whole week and I hope you guys forgive me and all that. 

I promise to be better next time.

- nica