Ch. 6 - Choice

The few hours spent on the jet back to the base were actually pretty similar to the time on the couch, minus the anger and crying. Tom sat half in his own seat, half on Tord's lap. The communist had whined at first that the smaller male was going to mess up his uniform (he had changed back into it) until the Brit had agreed to change his outfit himself. Neither of them were sure why that was the deciding factor, but here they were. Tom was essentially wearing a greyscale version of the standard uniform. Instead of a red turtleneck, he wore a black one with light grey pants and darker grey boots. The only thing he didn't have was the coat.

Pat sat nearby, staring out the window, though it was clear he was actually spending more time watching the pair than anything else. Shortly after Tord would catch him looking, he would get up to go check on Pau. He wasn't very good at hiding things. So it wasn't a surprise when he eventually asked about Tom. 

"You damn well know the answer to that, Pat. Don't even try to get me to answer it."

"You know he's not gonna be all too happy about him, right?"

"I know." Tord sighed. He already hated White Leader. He knew this was not gonna help the two of them get along at all.

----------------------------

"Red Leader. About time you arrived. Did you enjoy your little... vacation?"

"It was only two days, sir." Tord replied, his curt and clipped, hiding as much emotion as possible. He was sitting on one side of the large meeting table, White Leader at the other end. Tom stood behind the Norski, though even Tord wasn't sure why he felt so strongly like he needed him to be there.

"I see you brought back a toy." 

"Yes, I brought someone back with me, but with all due respect, sir, he is not a toy." somehow Tord managed to continue to keep his calm tone, while also lacing it with poison.

"He shouldn't even be at the base, let alone in this room."

"There shouldn't be anything you have to say to me that you couldn't say for him to hear."

"If you'd like to deal with this outside, that could be arranged."

Tom was the only one there who didn't know what that meant. But Tord knew full well. He also knew there was no getting out of it.

"Maybe later."

Before White Leader could speak again, Tord was already out the door, taking Tom with him. He walked down the wide hall, his pace brisk and rushed. Tom followed without question. The communist led him outside, to a small path leading into the woods. 

"I wanna show you something." the Norski's words were still cold and poison laced, with only the slightest bit of warmth behind them.

"What's going on, Tord?" Tom finally asked after they reached a small clearing. He noted just how close this spot was to the edge of a cliff. So they were near the ocean. Interesting.

"You trust me right?"

"Yes."

Tord suddenly pulled Tom into a tight embrace. He buried his face in the brunette's shoulder.

"I'm sorry."

"What?"

"Running away only does you so much, kid."

The click of a gun being loaded. Oh no. Too soon. Damn it.

"I'm sorry, Tom." the Norski grinned, a slightly sadistic smile spreading across his face." But there's something I have to d-"

The guns fired before he could even finish.

And they were falling.

The ground below was gone, only over three hundred feet of open air to the crystalline water below.

60 seconds.

Tom reached out to pull Tord close to him. He really did understand now. And he wasn't going to let go ever again.

30 seconds

Tord knew he was dying. It wasn't even the water, or the fall. The gunshot wound didn't hurt, though.

15 seconds

A final embrace. A final look. A final kiss.

Then nothing.