Chapter Two

The Most Dreadful Wednesday

Daniel chose to sleep at the Fontainebleau last night. He opened his eyes to check his phone and the date on his lock screen made his throat constrict.

Over the years he'd been overly focused on this specific day; piling on loads of work, or burying his woes in someone new. He'd been crafty, cunning, and determined every year around this time; creating new ways to keep every emotion he'd buried over a decade ago, hidden far beneath the surface.

Most times he'd succeeded; kept all sentiments in a box, buried deep within his heart. But unfortunately, on some occasions, a completely emotionless existence seemed a bit harder to maintain.

He turned onto his side and slowly blinked as the automatic drapes rolled away to welcome sunlight into the room.

His face remained expressionless as he stared at nothing but tall buildings from the comfort of the bed.

Thoughts of his mother plagued him as he lay there in silence. The unwanted memories robbed him of choice as he was powerless to do anything but endure its acidic invasion.

Minute after minute they came. Her smile, her laughter, her depression, the stressed look on her face right before she threw up, and the look of relief after she had. Her voice was so weak, her skin paled, her hair had long gone, and it seemed difficult to muster up a full sentence let alone hold a long conversation. He remembered her first chemotherapy triumph, he remembered all her medical failures after that. Most of all he remembered the last words she uttered in his presence, before he stopped going to see her, before he stopped caring about everything.

I'm Tired.

Those were the words she uttered when the doctor suggested another round of aggressive therapy. She had decided to give up and he never returned to the hospital, or her bedroom in their family home when she decided to stay there and slowly waste away.

God, he managed to put up walls. So many walls. And they'd stayed up all these years, protecting him like an army made of stone.

Reluctantly, he rolled out of bed and forced himself to stand and walk to the bathroom. The five-star hotel provided everything he needed for short term or long-term stay. Daniel brushed his teeth, washed his face then took a shower. He managed not to think of her while he got ready for the day.

After dressing himself in the burgundy suit his tailor hand delivered to his room early in the morning while he slept, he sent a text message to summon Johnson; his driver and most trusted employee.

In less than five minutes there was a knock at the door.

When he opened it, Johnson greeted him with one word. "Sir"

Johnson is about ten years older than Daniel, however, he's as loyal and as respectful as they come. Even with the obvious seniority, the level of respect he showed Daniel was absolute.

Daniel gestured for Johnson to enter the suite and he stepped in with an unreadable expression.

"Please have the car ready in two hours, you may also go and eat without me, just charge it to the room, I'll take care of it." Daniel advised softly.

Daniel heard his phone ringing from the bedroom, he didn't have to look at the caller ID because he knew his father's assigned ringtone.

Johnson finally spoke again. "He called me three times already. He's just worried about you."

"He doesn't need to worry about me. I've always been capable of taking care of myself." Daniel muttered followed by a dark glare.

Johnson nodded and left the room.