Vengeance is a Mother

Mid-morning sunlight filtered through the stained-glass windows of the funeral home's chapel, bouncing colors off the simple, pewter-colored coffin lain out on a draped platform.  Sitting before it on the front bench was Mattie Johnson, her expression dazed and solemn, her eyes swollen and bloodshot from spent tears, rolling a soiled handkerchief in her trembling hands.  Sitting next to her, consoling, was her best friend and neighbor, Dottie Bennett.  Others in the community who'd attended Mattie's sixteen year old son's wake had paid their respects and left over an hour ago.

"Mattie, it's time to go," Dottie said, her voice low and patient as she softly patted her friend's hand.  "We'll see James again tomorrow."  She stood up.  "Come on now, let's go."  Mattie shuddered but didn't protest, allowing her friend to lead her up and out of the viewing room, too emotionally exhausted to protest.  Just at that moment, the funeral director entered the room.  He took Mattie's hand, gave it a gentle squeeze and smiled.  "We'll come for you tomorrow, Mrs. Johnson, ten o'clock sharp.  It's gonna be alright."  Mattie nodded absently and allowed Dottie to lead her out of the building.

The following day, at the gravesite in McMullen's Cemetery, after the prayers were said, and Mattie had broken down, shedding tears she didn't think she had left, she placed a single red rose on her son's coffin aided by two deacons from her church holding up her writhing body as she stumbled towards the coffin. 

There had been a large turnout, and Mattie was grateful for the support.   James's schoolmates, friends and neighbors, young and old were there.  James had been a good boy; Mattie's only son.  He'd been a good student, a member of the church choir and well liked in the community.  But he'd made one fatal mistake.  He'd trusted the wrong people and had fallen victim to the same weakness his father had several years before.  He'd overdosed on cocaine.

James hadn't come home one night, something he'd never done before.  Mattie had been frantic, calling and driving all around asking everyone she knew if they'd seen her son.  After exhausting all options Mattie returned home, fear and worry draining her.  She'd plopped down in her favorite chair in her modest front room, the house filled with eerie silence except for a clock ticking in the distance.  She'd sat by the phone, a bible in one hand, mumbling prayers under her breath, her phone in the other practically willing James to call her and let her know where he was, better yet walk his lanky ass in the front door so she could give him a piece of her mind. 

She'd dozed off, waiting by the phone when she was awakened by  a loud knock at her door.  Mattie jumped, startled.  She gasped.  "It's about damn time," she mumbled rushing to her feet to get to the door.  When she opened it she knew her world would never be the same again.  Standing tall and broad at her door were two police officers. 

"Hello, Ma'am.  Are you Mrs. Johnson?" one asked, "Mrs. Mattie Johnson?"

She looked from one to the other.  "Yes, I'm Mrs. Johnson" she said.  "What's this about?" 

"Do you have a son by the name of James Johnson?"

Mattie looked from one officer to the other.  "Yes, I do.  Where is he?"

"May we come in, Mrs. Johnson?"

Mattie nodded and moved aside allowing the officers to enter her home.  "Have you seen my boy?" she asked.  "Where is he," she went on.  "He know he's suppose to call me when he's going to be late.  I been looking all over for him."  She watched as the two officers looked at each other, their expressions calm.

"Would you care to sit down, Mrs. Johnson?" one of the officers asked.

"Nope, I do not want to sit down," Mattie said, firmly.  "Now...one of you need to tell me where my boy is.  Take me to him."