Stained Glass Eyes, And Colorful Tears.

-vic-

A couple of weeks passed, and the pressure was starting to get to me.

I repeatedly have nightmares every night, and all day long, I'm tormented with doctors and nurses telling me that Elise's chances are shriviling, and asking if I want to pull the plug.

Right now, I'm sitting in a chair by the window feeding Michael.

He's four months old now.

He doesn't really understand what's going on, and I envy him, but I also really feel bad for him, because if Elise never wakes up from this coma, he won't remember her.

I don't think it's fair that he won't know his mom.

Courtney comes up here every day, hoping just as much as me, that there will be some change in Elise's brain activity, but every day, we're both disappointed.

Michael spends most of the time with my parents, but I want him close by, just in case Elise doesn't wake up, I'll have a little piece of her here with me.

"You've got to get some excercise Vic. You've been here for two weeks straight, you need to get out and get some fresh air." Dr. Keller said.

"No, I don't want to miss her waking up or dying. Whichever happens first, I'm going to be here for it." I said.

"Just don't make yourself crazy Vic. At this point, there's about a 30 percent chance she'll wake up. When she doesn't, I don't want you to be too upset." He said closing the door.

"If she doesn't wake up, I won't be surprised. It's her waking up that'll shock me." I whispered.

Days pass like hours, and before I know it, another three weeks is gone.

I'm praying like a sinner for forgiveness, just so Elise will wake up.

After awhile, I stop praying, because I've pretty much stopped believing in god altogether.

I'm no Atheist, I just think that if he existed, there'd be something he could do.

The doctor is pushing me to pull the plug, saying that they can only keep her alive for so long before there's no hope.

Finally, I break down, and tears and all, I sign the release and set the date for November 11.

It was only October 3 today.

I hoped and desprately prayed that Elise would somehow pull through and wake up before we pulled the plug, because losing her wasn't going to be something I'd handle well.

I knew that I was destined to lose my mind when she died.

I woke up on October 15, and it was raining.

I got up to go to the bathroom, not noticing anything different, as usual.

When I walked out, the nurse was in the room checking the brain activity.

I sat back in my chair and let my head fall back against the wall.

"Well this is unusual." She muttered.

I ignored her.

I heard her push the call button.

"Hannah, page Dr. Keller to Elise Fuente's room. Room 321." She said.

I sat up and looked at her, "What's going on?" I asked.

"Her brain activity, it's increasing. It seems like she's trying to come out of this. She's fighting it." She said.

I felt my heart swell with hope.

Dr. Keller came in, "It is increasing, but she's only got four more weeks to pull through this before we have to pull the plug. You'd best pray to god she fights her way out of it." He said.

Elise fought as hard as she could, and I knew she was going to come out of this.
She had to, I couldn't go on without her.
I needed her.
Michael needed her.
I laid on my cot, in my newfound hospital home, and waited for her.
At this point, there wasn't anything else I could do.

One night , I was laying on the cot with Michael, my left arm above my head, and my right resting on Michael's back.
I dreamily gazed down at him, thinking about how precious he was, and how I couldn't believe that I'd made this baby.
With Elise's help, that is.
Hannah, the night nurse came in to check on Elise before the shift-change.

She walked in and smiled, "Well there's those blue eyes, nice to see you."  
I looked over at her confused, and heard a familiar voice, "It's nice to see you too. Where's my husband?"
Hannah nodded in my direction, and Elise sat up and looked at me, "Hi baby."
I jumped up, "Hi baby." I said.
"I missed you."
"I missed you too." I was crying now, and unable to keep myself from looking like a total puss.
She just smiled, "Is that my baby boy?"
I nodded, "Yeah, four months old now. He really missed you."
"I missed him too. Hi sweetheart, Mommy missed you."
"When can I go home? I want my life back." Elise whispered.

We finally went home.
I walked in and settled Elise and Michael back into their lives.
Sooner than I would've liked, the news spread, and our five minutes of alone time was over, and we were crowded with people, happy to see Elise.
I sat back with Michael, and tried to enjoy the excitement.
After all, I had my Elise home with me again.