Understanding Him

The next morning I awoke with the "Wolf" boy holding me tight. His pale skin was cold. He was holding me to his cold chest as if he never held something dear. I could now see his dirt covered face with some agony. There were pale streams left behind on his cheeks from the crying. I couldn't resist from touching his ears so I calmly reached my hand out to them.

"Don't..." he murmured. I hesitated but stopped."Why are you holding me?" I asked.

"I was cold.", he chuckled.

"Y-you had a b-blanket under you!" I turned red.

"You were warmer." he joked.

"Oh..." I blushed really hard.

He barely opened his eyes. I noticed something bright on his face. They were...his eyes! They looked like they were striked by lightning! Lightning yellow eyes! It was impossible!"Your eyes...they're beautiful!" I told him. "Thanks. Everybody else hates my eyes because they're abnormal. At least you like them." he said depressingly. There was this particular burn mark on his left arm that looked painful. I instinctively decided to check on the injury. I reached my hand toward his burn but he lightly growled showing his sharp teeth. I bet he doesn't want me to touch him because of what happened yesterday. I returned my arm into its own position.

"Were the people from yesterday chasing you?" I don't think I should've asked that question.

"Yes..."

"Why?"

"They call me...the Demon Wolf. They think... I'm some... kind of demon who takes the form of a wolf."

"You look nothing like a wolf! The ears and tail-"

"I'll show you later if you want."

"O-oh. Does that mean you are some kind of wolf?"

"Umm. Yeah..."

"Those scars...did they also do that?"

"These were made a long time ago from other villages."

"O-oh. C-could you stop h-holding me now?"

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't notice..." he said with guilt in his voice.

He unlocked his arms letting me free. I arose from the bed with a yawn. He got up too but sat on the bed and stared at the floor."Do you have a name?" Silence. "Can I call you Sky?" I thought that name fit him well because of his eyes. I guess he didn't want to talk about it. More silence. I guess he really didn't want to talk.

"Umm... I dunno. Thanks...for the name. I never had one before.", he finally replied. He must've been lonely if he never had a name. "What's your name?" His face seemed eager to know. "Oh. You can just call me Red." He looked up once but quickly looked back down. He wouldn't stop staring at the floor. Did my face seem that weird to him?

"I'm sorry...for what I did to you yesterday. It must've hurt."

"Meh. It hurt a lot but at least it won't get infected like the other times." He anxiously looked up.

"Other times?" He finally looked up! Yes!

"I told you, the scars are from other villages I went to. I didn't have necessary supplies to... treat my wounds."

"Are you infected now?"

"No..."

"How did you treat your wounds?"

"I...uhh, had to steal from the residence or find-- never mind! I don't wanna talk about it." He looked down again.

Now I know he had to be lonely. I have to help him (I've said this so many times that it feels natural). Maybe if I suggest that he stay here...he won't feel lonely anymore. "Do you want t-to stay here? I m-mean like live with m-me-- I mean us?" He looked up again. His eyes met mine and I couldn't do anything but blush. Someone please break the awkwardness!!

Something started hitting the front door! Hard. The door was kicked down and through it came a tall man wearing a plaid long sleeved shirt, dark blue pants, and suede boots with a dark brown beard holding a wooden axe in his right hand.

"I found you, wolf."