Eighteen

Upon my recent inspection of my log, I have realized that there are a few things that do not add up; namely, my acquaintance with Death. Though I had not thought upon it, it seems to me that I must now delve into the past a bit to explain things.

So, shall I start with the creation of the Lemniscate...? No, best if I tell you how I met Death, first.

I'm sure that you are aware of the Tale of the Three Brothers, but just in case, I will give you an overview. Basically, the story details the lives of three men who cheated Death. One asked for a wand stronger than any other and one asked for a stone to bring back the dead. These two died early deaths. However, the third asked for a cloak to hide him from Death, and when he departed, he greeted Death as a friend.

These three men were, in fact, real people, the Peverells. Their items are legendary, and legend goes that the one to combine them would become the "Master of Death." I did this, after I defeated Tom and gained control of the wand. 

While Death will never have a true master, he does like to have someone who isn't terrified of him to talk to. That fact is what led me to meeting him. He felt his items being combined, and came to see who had done so.

After that, he trailed me when he didn't have souls to reap. He also was a big part of the reason that the Lemniscate came to fruition, what with his extensive knowledge of necromancy and all. Since then, he hasn't visited me. I hadn't seen him until killing Bumblefuck, and then again once after that, when I realized who I was. 

And that's it. I hope that this clears things up.