A Tough Choice

"Are you sure you're ready to came back to work?" Ava asked Connor.

"After I've got stuck in bed for 2 weeks and a half?" He answered chuckling "Yeah, I am definitely ready to come back."

He had been dismissed a couple of days earlier since his leg seemed to be fully healed and he couldn't wait to came back on the field.

"Confess it. You'd missed me in surgery, hadn't you?"

"Well, if I gotta be honest, I'm gonna miss the silence during surgery and nobody who contradict me all the time" she said laughing.

"Ah, Dr. Rhodes." Dr. Latham interrupted them "I'm glad to see you're back."

"Thank you. I'm glad to be back."

Then he addressed Ava "Dr. Bekker, since Dr. Rhodes will be on Trauma today and we're understaffed in the CT, you'll work with Dr. Lange, the primatology of the Mercy Hospital's cardiothoracic department."

"Of course."

After have said that, he moved toward the elevator.

"Wow, that man is like, a legend" Connor said with admiration.

"Yeah, I know" she answered "It'll be an honor to work with him."

"Lucky you" Connor said smiling.

"Dr. Rhodes, Dr. Bekker, incoming. A car crash, 2 victims involved" Maggie said.

"Coffee later?" Connor asked.

"Yep, see you at the cafeteria" as she said that, the ED doors opened.

A woman who was crying and very upset entered alongside the paramedics and his son, that was a one of the victims.

"Dr. Rhodes you're going to Trauma 1."

"On it. Brett, talk to me" Connor said.

"Luke Benson, 8 year-old, GCS 6, BP 120 over 80" Sylvie said.

"All right Luke, we'll take good care of you."

In the meantime, the second victim arrived.

"Dr. Bekker, you're going to Trauma 4" Maggie said.

"On it. Dawson what do we got?" Ava asked.

"Male, 50 years-old, GSC 12, tachy's to 130, suspected DUI" Dawson said.

"He hit the boy, then his car crashed against a truck that was carrying beams. One of them perforated his chest" Severide said.

"All right. Let's transfer him on my count. One, two, three."

In the other room, the boy's mother was very nervous and worried.

"That jerk ran over my son!" She screamed.

"Ok ma'am. Can you tell me exactly what happened?" Connor asked.

"The traffic light was green, we were crossing the street and Luke was right behind me, then a car suddenly appeared from nowhere and hit him" she said crying "A minute later he was on the ground!"

"All right, let's get an X-ray" Connor said.

"We're ready" April said.

"Ok, everyone stand back."

After the scan was completed Connor took a second to examine it and he seemed pretty upset.

"April, order an MRI and a CT scan."

"On it."

"What is it?" The woman asked worried.

Connor took a breath before to answer "It could be a spinal injury, but we can't be sure about that until we'll have run some more tests."