Confessions

*LAST CHAPTER*

It had already been three weeks, since that night. Ava couldn't help, but keep thinking about it. Her words resounded over and over in her mind, did she really said to him to take that job offer? What was she thinking about? She was so mad at him when she found out he'd taken the lead on her case and risked her patient's life, she just couldn't contain her anger. On the other side, Connor's voice was calm and his answer so simple "Good". After had said that, he turned around heading to the parking and disappeared in the darkness of the night, instead Ava stood there crying while watching him go away. He'd promised that morning that was his place and he'd have never left, but it was exactly what he had done.

Days became weeks and he didn't come back to work or even call her. It was like if he was disappeared from the earth. Everything remembered Ava about him, every time she stopped at the cart to take a coffee, she remembered they did it very often before to go to work; when she saw a black sportive car, she stopped to see the driver's face, hoping it was his. She missed their conversations during surgery, she missed the way they worked together to treat a patient, she missed that feeling of safe she felt every time he embraced her, SHE MISSED HIM.

All of this was so painful and all she wanted to do was working. At least, doing that, she could focus on something else and forget about him for a little while.

She had just entered the ED, when Dr. Latham approached her.

"Good morning Dr. Bekker" he greeted Ava who was buried in her thoughts.

"Good morning" she said showing a fake smile to hide her sadness.

"How we'll proceed today?"

"I have a replacement of a tricuspid valve scheduled for this morning at 10."

"Good. Since Dr. Rhodes is not here, let me know if you need help."

Hearing those words she felt a stabbing pain in her chest. She definitely didn't need also Dr. Latham to remind her Connor had left.

"Sure" she managed to say keeping her emotions under control.

Dr. Latham stood there some more seconds staring at her, then he just turned around and disappeared once turned the corridor.

Ava decided to focus on the work and took the patient's medical record to have a look on it. Suddenly she saw Natalie moving toward her.

"Hi" Natalie said with a smile.

"Hi."

Her face became serious and she took a breath before to talk with a calm voice "I've seen you are distract and sad lately. I think it's because Connor's leaving. I mean, you two were..." she wasn't sure about what words to use, so she thought about it for a moment "...close. I just want you to know that I'm here if you need to talk or you just need someone who can listen to you."

"Thank you for the offer, but I'm good" Ava said with a weak smile.

Nathalie nodded "Okay, but the offer still stands if you change your mind" then she put a hand on Ava's shoulder and gave her a comfort look before to go away.

Ava wasn't the kind of person who needs compassion or pity. She never needed someone's help, why would this time have been different? In fact it wasn't. She could handle it alone, just as she'd always done.

Time passed quickly and Ava got ready for the valve repair on her 54-year-old patient, Dan Garrett, who had a defect of the tricuspid valve due to the dilation of the right ventricle.