Good Intentions

The way Uncle Wall was looking at him made Cap uneasy. Leaning back in his chair at the dinner table, Cap took out his flask of moonshine and threw back a swig. The old judge's critical eye shifted away.

His father always said that Cap reminded him of Judge Hatfield when he was younger. They both saw through people, there was no way of lying to either of them. Judge Hatfield had considerable more practice though and something in his smirk made Cap feel as though he knew something the rest of their family didn't.

Cap excused himself, saying that he was going to visit Johnse again at his still. Things had not been well between his older brother and his new McCoy bride. For the past few nights that Cap had been absent, it had made a good story to tell his ever inquisitive mother. She had grumbled that he'd better not be looking to marry one of Nancy McCoy's kin himself. Cap told her truthfully that was the farthest thing from his mind.

"So off to see my brother's prodigal son?" Uncle Wall announced his presence as he strode down to the barn where Cap was saddling his horse. "Been doin' that a lot lately. Things going poorly between the newlyweds?"

Cap snorted. "Well, what did you expect?"

Uncle Wall took the animal by the snout and fed it a knob of corn. "I visited Miss Cordelia Robertson yesterday."

Tightening the straps around the horse's belly, Cap peered blankly over at him in the fading winter light. "Who?"

"Don't lie to me, boy. I thought you knew better than that."

"The Yankee doctor's daughter?"

"You know who I mean."

"What about her?"

Uncle Wall patted the horse's neck and moved towards his nephew. "I was offering to help her find a job. I have a few connections with the school house in town, they are lookin' for a new teacher. I suggested that she let me recommend her."

"I still don't see what this has to do with me," Cap grumbled, adjusting his hat and trying to ignore his Uncle's direct gaze as he mounted the horse. "I've got to get on-"

"Cap. I asked if she had a weapon and she showed me her pistol. I recognized it immediately. It's yours."

Instead of giving his nephew a reproachful stare, Uncle Wall eyed him curiously with his mouth soft in contemplation. Cap couldn't lie to him, not about this.

"She didn't have one so I gave it to her."

Uncle Wall sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. His breath turned to fog in the chilled early evening air. "I didn't know you two were so... well acquainted."

"Not that well, if you saying what I think you are," Cap retorted quickly, gripping the reins. "I'm no Johnse."

"I know you ain't like Johnse. But I want you to be careful."

"You sound just like ma. You ain't got nothin' to worry about with me, I'm fine. I can take care of myself with these bounty hunters and McCoy-"

"I'm not talkin' about you, boy," Uncle Wall interrupted with an edge. "Be careful with Cordelia Robertson, don't bring any more hardships on her head."

Cap leaned down towards his Uncle and lowered his voice. "I would never do anything to harm her."

Uncle Wall shook his head. "I know, Cap. But there are others who would hurt her because of you. All I'm saying is to keep your distance until this whole thing blows over."

Cap sat up with a dry chuckle and turned the horse towards the yard. "Don't see anything blowing over any time soon. Do you, Uncle Wall?"

He trotted away before the older man could answer.

The road toward the Robertson's home was quiet in the early twilight. A light mist clung to the gravel with the waning moon rising above the treeline in the hazy purple sky. When he grew close enough, he dismounted and led the horse further towards the house. The pounding of hooves reverberated in the ground beneath his boots. Cap swiftly hid his horse behind a thick hedge of brambles.

The rider was coming from the direction of town, but heading towards the doctor's house. Cap shouldered his rifle and peered down the road. The stranger came into view and Cap let out a low whistle. He sauntered into the horse's path.

"Jim McCoy. Ain't seen you since that mornin' you had a gun to my brother's head. Where you headin' this time of night?"

The eldest McCoy son brought his horse to heel and tipped his hat back from his eyes. His thin lips drew into a tight line. "At least I didn't pull the trigger which ain't something you can say after you killed my brothers. You've got gaul showin' yourself when there's price on your head, Hatfield."

"Why don't you take the opportunity then and collect the money from old McCoy yerself?" Cap cocked the gun and lifted an eyebrow. "Unless you got some urgent business somewhere? You headin' any place particular?"

"That doesn't concern you."

"But it does if you are one of them McCoys lookin' to collect debts from dead Doc Robertson."

A suffocating hush fell between the two men. They had never been unfriendly as children, even as tension between their paps had grown. Out of all the McCoy sons, Jim bothered Cap the least. But on that road in the half light, Cordelia's safety wasn't worth the risk.

Jim McCoy dismounted and strode towards Cap. His sun tanned hand lay on the pistol at his hip as he sized up his rival. 

"What do you want, Hatfield?"

"I want you to keep on this road and not go down towards the doctor's house. You ain't got no business there."

"I mean what do you want from Cordelia Robertson? Are you and your family using her for something? Was it you demanding money from her father? I know you like to gamble and drink with the rest of those godless heathens down at the saloon."

"Before you get any ideas in that pretty little head of yours, let me just say that I had nothing to do with the death of Doc Robertson," Cap responded, his eyes as cold as the moon rising over them. "But from what I hear, it was your people that have his blood on their hands."

"Lies."

"Just sayin' what word around town has been..."

"What makes you her guard dog?" Jim shot back. "You been sniffin' around her for some time, I seen it. What makes you think she'd consider someone like you, no matter how many nights you sit here squatting in the dark?"

Cap glanced away with a grimace. "And you think you're any better? She wouldn't look your way either."

"At least I know it."

"Then why are you going to her house at this time of night?"

Jim jabbed a finger towards him. "I told you it's none of your concern. I don't have to answer to you. But I'll tell you this, my intentions towards Miss Robertson are more honorable than those of Johnse towards my sister."

Cap pursed his lips and lowered his gun. "Well, then at least we have that much in common."

Again, a heavy silence fell between them. Before another threat could be issued from either side, rough voices rose through the trees. Horses hooves and men shouting. It was coming from the Robertson house. Cap narrowed his eyes above the shadowy trees as a strange orange glow illuminated the sky. Glass shattered and a gun was fired.

"What in the hell..." Jim breathed.

"Shit," Cap snapped, taking off at run for the clearing with Jim close on his heels.