Rivers

The newspapers from up north were calling it the Battle of Grapevine, as though it were a lesser conflict from the war between the states. In reality, it had been a pathetic clash between the two clans that resulted in the death of children and the capture of Cotton. Cotton was being held on murder charges. Cap could barely get him to kill a rabbit when they went hunting. 

Despite the despicable nature of the McCoys, Cap was certain that Cotton was the most innocent party in the entire conflict. When he'd shot Alifaire McCoy, there was no malice in him, only confusion. Cap blamed himself. He should have insisted that Cotton be protected instead of treated as though he could comprehend something as ruthless as blind hatred. His heart was too pure.

Then there was the matter of Billy, shot dead right in front of Pap's eyes. The thirteen year old never should have stepped foot on that battlefield. Cordelia had been right. The innocent blood was the kind that would never wash out.

Cap had not spoken to Johnse since the incident on Thacker Mountain. He'd forgiven him, simply because they were blood. At one point in their youth, they'd been close. But their vastly different personalities soon got in the way. Cap could never understand his older brother's devil-may-care attitude. It seemed that it confounded their parents as well.

Cap happened to enter the kitchen of the hunting camp just at the boiling point of a heated argument between Johnse and their mother. Levicy was wide eyed and fuming, clutching a cooking spoon. Johnse had been her pride and joy while they were growing up, always sweet and charming as a child. His adulthood had strained their relationship.

Levicy cracked her open palm across Johnse's cheek, breathing hotly through her nose. "I'm ashamed to call you son."

Johnse hung his golden head, casting a quick glance in Cap's direction before striding from the room. Their mother was panting, stray pieces of silvery brown hair floating around her face. Though Levicy Hatfield was a force to be reckoned with, Cap had never seen her in such a state. At least since Johnse had told her about Roseanna's baby...

"Did he marry another McCoy?" Cap asked dryly, pouring himself a cup of chicory coffee.

"Don't make jokes at a time like this," she snarled, pointing the cooking spoon at him.

Cap knew better than to push her when she was in this mood. If he badgered her too much, he'd end up getting knocked over the head with the skillet. It was something she had been wanting to do anyway ever since he'd sent Cordelia away without an explanation.

Despite how long she had fought him from setting his sights on the Robertson girl, Levicy had been devastated at her leaving. Devil Anse had accepted it as his son's decision, but Levicy was livid. Cap still didn't know how to explain it to her.

He drove any thought of Cordelia from his mind. He hadn't stepped foot in their bedroom since she'd left. He slept with the other bachelors on the second floor over the family home. His only goal now was to get Cotton back before they hung him, maybe even rescue the others stewing in McCoy jail cells as well. He had things to do.

The one allowance he'd given himself was the day that her train left. He received word from a secret source that Cordelia was finally returning north. She had inherited some money from a dead relative and now could go back to where she belonged. It was what he had wanted. Hell, it was what Jim McCoy had wanted. 

But he couldn't help riding out to the hill that overlooked the train tracks. Through the freezing rain, he kept his eye on the engine till it disappeared into the fog. He thought it would make him feel better. Despite everything that had happened, he had done this one thing right. But it made the specter of her memory even more persistent.