Chapter One

I often wake up to the sound of screams. It isn't uncommon in a prison; forced into a labor camp for being different. Although today was special. It was arrivals day. Newbies. Fresh Meat. Whatever you wanna call them. I'm still considered fresh meat by most, even though I've been here for almost three months. I'm lucky to survive this long at 14 years old, it's unlikely to survive 6 months and impossible to last a year. 

Instead of screams breaking the eternal silence of my cell, its the sound of locks clicking. I jolt up off the ground, the heavy metal door opens with a and I hear a yelp as a body falls to the cold floor of my cell. Not just my cell anymore I think. The footsteps of the overseer slowly fade away and the silence drags on. It's probably still night. I think I should say something but I have no idea what. I don't want to say something stupid. 

"Who are you?"

I think he's a boy, who are you it's an interesting question. I am many things, many names. I decide to make one up. A name that I've always liked.

"Rosie," I've always liked the smell of roses. "What about you?" 

There's a moment of silence. I think he wants to choose a name for himself as well but then he answers.

"Kai," the person says quietly. 

The cell becomes quiet again. I wanna know where Kai came from, why he is here. But that would be rude, and it wouldn't be pleasant to die next to someone who hates you. I sit back down on my small pile of grass. Then I realize he probably has nothing of his own, I wanna offer him space, but I'm still wondering if he's a boy or-

Cling Cling.

The two sounds ring out in cell block. A sort of code that I picked up from the older cellmates. It's meaning was simple, but often misinterpreted. 

Another one's gone.

I heard this one the most. I responded with two stomps on the floor, which was a sort of sendoff to the person, different to every person. 

"What's that?" Kai whispered to me. I flinch remembering he was here, I didn't have my own cell anymore. 

I turn around not worried if I'm facing him or not, "Goodbye,"

"Oh"

I go back to my corner..."You should get some rest. The warmest spot is here, after a while you get used to the cold though."

Kai walks towards me and sits down next to me, "Thanks," 

Silence fills the room again, I know it's not because he's sleeping, I can smell the salt of his tears. 

I stay awake as well. 

The clamor of dawn begins and I get up. I hear the door open and breath in the icy air. I hear Kai shiver behind me. I don't know what to do with my cellmate, he hasn't been hostile but he hasn't exactly been friendly either. Instead of saying anything, I gesture him to follow me and leave the cell. 

It's a commotion outside as it always is. I stick to the back of the crowd head down, we get one meal a day. Breakfast. Normally just a frozen block of bread but it's spring, and Kai just arrived. Maybe it'd be something newer. I'm walking faster now, Kai's footsteps quickened with mine. Soon we're in a packed courtyard, it's snowing. Damnit

"What's going on?" I flinch again. I didn't realize how close Kai was.

"Breakfast," I say casually "Wait till everyone gets there share first. After that, we go into the mines you don't wanna be to close to the entrance." I'm not sure why I'm telling him this, maybe because I felt bad for him? Whatever. "In fact the deeper you are the better you are."

"Why?"

"Because none of the overseers go there."

When only a few of the prisoners were left I approached the table where the food was. I took a piece of whatever was left and scrambled to get to the mine. I think Kai must've done the same. I hear the crack of a whip and a scream echoing through the caves. I pretend not to hear it as I pick up a pickaxe from the pile. 

It's freezing in here, my hair falls in front of my face as I walk my usual path to the back of the cave. I'm taking a bite out of the cold bread when I'm stopped by a cold hand. I'm about to punch this person in the face when I hear Kai's voice.

"It's poisoned"

I sigh in relief "I know dimwit" I whisper harshly. Although none of the overseers come here it was still dangerous to be caught standing around. "Magic dampener, it sucks but its better than starving."  

I finish my bread in two bites and swing my pickaxe at the ice wall. Gold, that's what we were looking for. Not that there was any. But should you find any you'd be rewarded, it was all a bunch of crap. 

Next, to me, I hear Kai start to do the same.

clang...clang...clang.