Torture

Family gatherings the one occasion you are more or less forced to put up with a bunch of people you don't want to. You would rather shoot yourself in the foot and submerge it in acid then to be around a houseful of relatives. Well maybe that was harsh but anymore that was how I felt.

I hated the long conversations, the catching up. The times when the room is buzzing with noise that consumes you, none of it making sense at all.

I was heading home for a celebration, my Mother's birthday. A day that should have never came around again in her life. But because of me there she was at home awaiting a bunch of family.

"I'll take this one." I told the lady behind the jewelry counter.

"You're about to drop sixty-five g's on your Mother." Kenny told me looking into the showcase at the array of diamonds.

"I understand, but if this gets me off the hook then fine by me." I insisted letting out a ferocious groan.

"What hook are you getting off of?" Kenny asked pointing at something in the case.

"I just know what is going to happen; everyone will try and baby all my issues. Maybe a huge diamond will keep them quiet about my issues." I said tapping my fingernails on the glass.

"Either way, it will be talked about when you're there or when you leave." Kenny shrugged.

"Thanks for coming." I said sliding closer to him as he looked at a piece of jewelry.

"You're welcome; you think she'll like this?" He asked tossing the gold chain with ruby's intertwined at various spots along the chain.

I stared at Kenny not believing he would ever want to buy my Mother a thing. Let alone one with a price tag larger than the gift I got for her.

"Why would you do that?" I asked handing the necklace back.

"Maybe I'm trying to get off the hook too ok." He snipped pointing at another one in the case.

"Since when do you care what she thinks?" I asked him.

"She's your Mother." He said short and sweet, hiding the real reasons. The real reason was only a guess, but to me Kenny wanted to get on their good side because things between us had become almost serious nowadays.

"Well if you're trying to impress her and make her like you. I would go with these diamond hairclips." I offered guiding him to success.

We weren't perfect and we probably never would be, my only hope was to make due with who I was.

***

I pushed Kenny up the stairs of my parents' home, they had moved a year ago to another house. One that eerily reminded me of my old childhood home, the one that mom decided to torch.

"Will you calm down?" Kenny griped jabbing his finger into the golden button of the doorknob.

"Will you act like you're at least a little nervous?" I asked back fluffing my hair, and staring down at my gray blouse and black dress slacks.

"They are your family, if you can't be yourself around them then who can you be?" Kenny asked flashing a cheesy smile as my Dad opened the door in a hurry to welcome us in.

"Hey you two, long time no see." He grinned looking quite sleek in his sweater vest. I wondered when the last time was I saw him in anything so dressy. I pulled at the collar giving him a smile, anything to take me away from all the chaos that was close to ensuing.