Rejection

My mind was racing, I had just slept with Evan and I loved every minute of it. I loved the way he stared at me, the same look in his eyes that I remembered. It was back.

He touched my face, giving me a quick kiss on the lips and climbed out of bed. "I'll be right back." I watched him head into the bathroom—naked. And I couldn't help ogling the goods and aching for more of him.

I looked at the nightstand, at the papers that had been sitting there since I came in his room. I didn't want to snoop but it was for good reason. I needed to know what he had been up to.

"What are you doing?" I jumped. I did my best to not act startled that he snuck up on me. But I don't think he was buying it.

"Nothing really."

He crawled back into bed. He took my hand and kissed my fingertips. "I've missed you." I couldn't help but notice he seemed a bit off again.

"Evan?"

"Huh?" He rubbed at his nose.

"When you went in the bathroom, did you take something?"

He looked away from me. He knew I wasn't stupid.

"Remember when I used to say that to you?" He was trying his best to ignore my prodding.

"Yes, I do. That's why I'm asking. What are you doing to yourself?"

He shrugged. "I've been trying to cope. That's what I've been doing."

I touched his back, resting my head against him. I could hear his heart beating away. "What are you trying to cope with?"

"I lost you. I lost my brother. I lost a lot." He sighed. "When I moved away I got into some things. It takes the edge off. I can tolerate life."

"I never thought you would do drugs." I didn't care if I was hurting his feelings. It wasn't something I ever saw him doing. I hugged him anyway.

"Me either. I didn't think I would ever lose you." He kissed my cheek and pulled it together. "You probably should get going. You don't want the company falling apart." He stood up.

I couldn't believe he was telling me to leave. I got up and did just that. Collecting my clothes while Evan stood at the window as if I wasn't there anymore.

"Well," I slipped into my clothes and headed for the door. "Thank you for letting me see Oliver again." I wanted him to say something.

He wouldn't look at me. "Are you going to let me see him again? Or was this some form of redemption for your ego?" I felt like a piece of trash he was throwing to the curb.

"You can see Oliver whenever you want," he told me. "I'm not going to stop you."

"Ok." I sighed.

Before I made it to the steps he was behind me. "What do you want from me?"

I looked at him. "I don't know."

"You're marrying my brother, Eve. Did you think I was going to try and stop you? It's not up to me to do that. I know you're happy. I'm not going to try and mess that up."

I shook my head. "Well, it's a little too late for that. We already slept together."

"You didn't have to sleep with me."

"Oh right," I rolled my eyes.

"Just say it was a mistake. Lust, an accident, whatever you have to." He picked up a toy car and chucked it into Oliver's room.