Chapter 20

At this point, it seemed to be normal for Silver to wake up with his head pounding. But the difference with this one was that he was surprised to find himself alive. He thought that he would be dead after falling down the waterfall, but instead, he found himself still alive.

"You're awake." He heard Espio's voice not far from him.

Silver pushed himself up. He saw that he was...in his room in his own time.

"Wha-what?" He asked, perplexed at the situation. "What happened? How are we in my time? We should have died from the fight."

"I thought so as well. It doesn't make sense to me how we survived and teleported to this place." Espio confessed, and it seemed to take a lot of effort for him to reveal he didn't know the answers for once.

The circumstances of the situation didn't help the headache pounding against Silver's scalp. "I do remember thinking and asking if we could be saved, sent back to my time so this situation can finally be solved, just before we went down the waterfall."

"I take it the situation is about the meteor in the sky?" Espio asked.

"Yeah, for some weird reason the day has been repeating itself since it started happening. Almost like the world doesn't want to end. I haven't figured out why and I thought that the Chaos Emeralds could solve this. So I found two hidden close by and used them."

"And it's likely that the Chaos Emeralds sent you to the ARK in the end. You know that they're very powerful gems after all." Espio appeared to be talking more to himself than to Silver.

Powerful. The reminder that Espio was part of a band of greedy people.

"What's the real reason you are with that group?" Silver blurted out of the blue, suspecting he caught Espio off guard.

The chameleon paused for a moment, then let out a deep breath. "The reason I told you before is the real reason. It's for the honor of protecting innocent people. And, even if you want to leave me for saying this, they are my friends and they are as loyal to honor as I am. They have more of an inclination for money and grandeur compared to me."

Silver, realizing that he wanted to give his legs a stretch, stood up and walked to Espio, sitting in a chair at the corner of the room. "If you really wanted to claim yourself with the value of 'honor', you'd be part of a group that valued that above wealth or value."

Espio slammed his fist on a side table and stood up from his chair. "And don't you think I've thought of that before? That perhaps I escaped a past that only cared about that and nothing else?"

Silence hung between the two for several moments. Espio was about to elaborate, but then Silver's heart stopped when he heard a voice from out his window.

"SILVER, I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!" A whiny, high-pitched voice teased him with his cadence.

"Who's that?" Espio said, immediately on guard and his persona completely wiped of the argument they had only a few moments before.

Silver rolled his eyes and walked to the window's ledge.

"SILLLLLLVEER!" that voice dragged out with pleasure, "IT'S BEEN QUITE A WHILE SINCE I LAST SAW YOU. YOU KNOW, IT GETS BORING TO RELIVE THE SAME DAY OVER AND OVER AGAIN!"

"Wait," Silver was about to go through the window, to where the voice sourced from. But Espio grabbed his hand before he could move two inches. "How does he know that?" he whispered under his breath.

"Who is that, Silver? You clearly know who he is." Espio said in a deep voice, tinted with anger and annoyance.

"I HAVE SOMETHING SPECIAL TO SHOW YOU. IT'S A SURPRISE I'VE BEEN WORKING ON FOR A WHILE AND IT WILL STOP THE REPEATING OF DAYS."