Chapter 25

Espio realized the second his feet hit the ground that they weren't on the planet itself, but rather the meteor that was in the sky.

He observed the environment around him, a large circular room with dark purple walls and ceiling with a white glowing floor. He tuned his attention to his instincts, to sense if there was any immediate threat from these creatures.

...

Nothing.

"That's odd." Espio said, keeping his guard high as he tried to find blemishes. There were always flaws in the world around if one looked enough.

"What's odd?" Jet's squeaky voice asked, but Espio could detect he was on edge.

He closed his eyes to block off other senses; trying to feel if there was a hint of anything living in here. "There normally would be aliens here, since we are in the place where they spawn from. I'm trying to feel if there's any close by because they should have come out to attack us-"

Before he could finish, he felt that dark energy in the core of his being. He opened his eyes and looked around the room, but there was no source.

"Oh, don't worry." Black Doom's voice came from everywhere and nowhere. "I'll come to you to makes things easier."

As he finished his sentence, Espio's eyes caught onto Shadow's figure at one door. He didn't need to rely on Shadow's energy to know that the hedgehog was not the Shadow he knew.

Across from Shadow's left, Espio saw Sonic standing at another door. But what caught him off guard was that his eyes were a vibrant crimson color, almost like Shadow's irises, but a little brighter.

Are we too late?

And behind the four, Silver finished the triangle surrounding them. While he didn't have the red eyes of Sonic and Shadow, Espio could feel how deep his companion was under Black Doom's control.

"Don't move." Espio whispered to the Babylons. "They're under his command."

Surprisingly, Jet swallowed and appeared to stop breathing. Perhaps it was because his life was at stake, so he refrained from making any snarky remarks or trying to get his way.

"What is it you came back for, chameleon?" Black Doom asked, appearing between his two sons.

Espio turned to Black Doom's looming figure. "We came to get our friends back."

Jet scoffed at that comment, but Espio elbowed him before he could say anything else.

Black Doom laughed. "Oh, you animals are as pathetic as the humans. There's no way you'll be able to wake them up. I have my sons under full command because of my blood, and I can control them to do anything. As for the third one, he is in more of a hypnotic trance than anything else. But you still won't be able to wake him up. I have made him believe that I am the only thing that can save this doomed city, and he is so desperate to believe in anything he thinks can help."

Espio was about to talk back, but those words dropped with his heart as he saw the seven Chaos Emeralds behind him.

All the Chaos Emeralds were under his power as well. His army must have found them in such a short time since they couldn't travel across time and space. But with the combination of Sonic, Shadow, and Silver under his power as well...

"I think I might free your hedgehog, chameleon, after he kills you, just so he can feel regret at how weak he is. Your efforts are so futile that you don't even have a chance. It's a shame, I would have liked to have a real fight with you. But now," he floated upwards towards the ceiling, away from the action that would shortly follow. "Farewell."